Lost accuracy in a 17HMR?

MSU Marksman

I was one of the lucky ones who got one of the first Marlin 17V's when they first came out. It's been a few years and a couple of thousands of rounds later, but the accuracy has really been dropping off lately. It started off being a .75 MOA gun at 100 yards, but now it's closer to 3-4 MOA. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do to get the groups back down. The muzzle looks decent, but I might have it re-crowned to see if it helps. If that doesn't help I'm out of ideas. Do I sell it and put the funds towards a newer 17? Should I try contacting Marlin to see if they would re-barrel it? What would you do with a gun that looses it's accuracy? TIA.

Have you throughly cleaned it... I mean REALLY cleaned it.

Many 17 HMR shooters treat them like 22 rimfires, and the cleaning is almost non-existant.

But these little puppies do copper foul, and it doesn't come out with a lick and a promise.

Use wet patches with copper solvent - don't use brushes.

Keep wet patching, with 30 minutes between them to soak, until the patches come out white.

I doubt that Marlin will re-barrel it, the cost would be as much as a new rifle.

Also... do the regular checks - make sure the scope is tight, stock screws are tight, etc...

17HMR Cleaning

I hired a 17HMR in NZ for rabbit shooting earlier this year.
When we received it the barrel looked like a smooth bore.
It took several hours to remove the fouling and see rifleing again.
About every 100- 200 rounds it required thorough cleaning and accuracy returned. We poked 1100 rounds down at rabbits and were very surprised at the overall performance of this little round acuracywise and quite lethal.
APB

Try Patch Out! I use the accelerator too. I just took my .17 Remington from the safe and decided to push a patch down the bore. I always clean my rifles before putting them into the safe. I also run an oiled patch down the bore periodically to protect from rust. I haven't shot this rifle for several years.

I ran a patch with the accelerator followed by one with Patch Out. The amount of powder fouling and copper I removed was unbelieveable. I continued the routine letting the cleaner soak for several hours and sometimes overnight until I got an absolutely clean patch.

Tom

I agree cleaning thouroghly would be a good first step, if that doesnt work try using moly i prefer oil to powder because it doest reduce velocity and doesnt act as a heat sink. i really dont think you shot out your barrel cuz ive put about 5,000 rounds through my .22 wmr and i clean with copper solvent and lube after every trip to the range so about every 500 rds it gets a thorough cleaning, preventative maintenence is as important, or even more than on your car. i havnt seen any decrease in accuracy at all gun):D, take a page from the "what we learned in Vietnam" book, every gun needs cleaning

I totally agree with everyone about the cleaning.

The 17s velocity is at or below 2600 ft/sec and should last 15,000 to 20,000 rounds
before any accuracy loss with proper cleaning.

I would suspect fouling or stock problems. If the cleaning does not cure the problem I
would recomend re bedding and floating.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.