Zeroing a 17HMR..

I zero at 100 yards and just hold a fraction low for shorter targets. I print off a drop chart and tape it to all rifles, so I sight everything in at 100. If you decided to zero at 50 yards you'd have to hold a fraction high at 100.

What should I zero my 17hmr at? @50 yards should it on center where would it be @100yards?

I zero at 75 yards because it is about the center of the trajectory curve and places you
almost dead center at 50 and 100 yards.

Also this is the normal range of use for me (75 to 125 yards).

J E CUSTOM

What make of ammo do you use in you 17HMR?

I like the Hornady best in 17 grain and the CCI in 20 grain.

While testing ammo in a custom barreled 17 HMR Anschutz I found the Hornady
to be almost 50 ft/sec faster and the most accurate of all of the ammo I tested.

It has proven to be the case on every rifle tester sense (factory or custom).

The Hornady has consistently shot 100 yard 10 shot groups under 1/2 MOA and the others
done for the most part the same at 50 yards.

The reason may be simply that Hornady developed the round and may have a leg up
on everyone else.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I use the 17HMR mainly for squirrels back in IL. Since the shots were fairly close, my zero was at 50 yds. For the occasional 100 yd shot I held about 1/4" above their head. My rifle likes the 20 gr CCI over the Hornady. At 50 yds you can cover my 5-10 shot groups with your pinky nail. The 1 lb trigger helps :D. The damage they create is awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts