Help Resizing

It's got more to do with your level of chamber and die polish. In this quarantined state I've done some die cleaning and polishing with Flitz and 2500 sand paper. Made a huge difference. My Savage 110 chamber turns beautiful brass into a ringed Totem poll. I'll be flitzing that chamber next.

BFD Guns, I'm sure you know this, but don't make the chamber too smooth or bolt thrust will increase greatly, as the case walls "grab" the chamber to help lower bolt thrust....rsbhunter

BFD Guns, I'm sure you know this, but don't make the chamber too smooth or bolt thrust will increase greatly, as the case walls "grab" the chamber to help lower bolt thrust....rsbhunter
Whole nuther topic but there was a test done by a br engineering guy that showed it has little effect with the amount of polishing we do. Many smiths, including myself polish them like a jewel.

I would strongly suggest that you clean and polish the die before you try anything again. At a minimum, you have to ensure that the die if completely free of any residual anything. I have put a piece of steel wool on 45 cal brush and put the brush in a drill and spun it at slow speed to be sure all is out of there.
0000 Steel Wool
There also is Synthetic Steel Wool , maybe a little safer if you're shy about using it in a die or chamber.
The mix of lanolin and alcohol is what Dillion sells for a case lube. I'll bet lanolin is an ingredient in many of today's case lubes.
I suggest getting a Cartridge Case Gauge for that caliber to check for oversize cartridges and therefore oversize chamber .

Last edited:
Read the directions on the can of One Shot, then clean the inside of the die and remove "ALL" the old case lube using some kind of solvent. Then spray some One Shot inside the die and let dry. Then spray the cases as per below and "LET DRY" before sizing. The only time I have had a problem with One Shot was when sizing once fired Lake City 7.62 brass that was fired in a machine gun. And with these cases I used a carbide .45 ACP die to reduce the body diameter before sizing normally with a .308 die.

Below the U.S. Army Markmanship team uses One Shot and does not have any problems.

High-Volume Case Lubrication — Tips from the USAMU
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/06/high-volume-case-lubrication-tips-from-the-usamu/

usamutop01.png

biglube1605.jpg
Great tip about the turntable!!

A smooth surface has the ability to have 100% contact. When it comes to the chamber holding the case I use smooth chambers and smooth cases for 100% contact. There is something about the cohesion of friction we do not understand.

F. Guffey

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.