help on cartridge choice, 7wsm?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by alexkeyser, Mar 6, 2007.

1. alexkeyser

alexkeyser Well-Known Member

I am having my first completely custom rifle being built. It was going to be a 7wsm, but a guy I know is having a 6.5x300wsm built and swears it will out perform the 7wsm. I am looking at a 26 inch barrel and want to shoot berger vld's. any info. is appreciated. by the way, I recently joined the forum, this will be my first post. you guys are great. I've already learned so much. I also wish I knew about APS before I chose a gunsmith. Kirby seems like an awsome smith. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Ballistic64

Ballistic64 Well-Known Member

I cant say for sure,but I would think in long range hunting situations, especially with the 180VLD, the 7mm would be superior,along with barrel life as compared to the 6.5

3. Double AA

Double AA Member

I have a Winchester 7wsm Featherweight. It's the first rifle I've owned that actually shots faster than the reloading manual's data. Stock gun, 24" barrel, 71gr RL-19 and 139 Interbond = 3400 fps with 3/4 moa. Good speed, good accuracy and very little recoil.

The 7mm has the obvious advantage of bullets available. I can't think of an advantage the 6.5 would have with a case of this capacity.

4. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

bone 27 ,

Welcome .

What do you plan on shooting the berger vld's at ?
    Paper -coyotes -elk ?

5. alexkeyser

mostly antelope and varmits. I have a 30-378 mark V with alot of work done to it. so I really don't need alot of serious energy. I have taken antelope to 912 yds. with the weatherby, and want a smaller cartidge that can do the job at the same ranges. Plus I would like to have somthing that will not be a powder and barrel burner. I average 400rds. per year out of the 30-378 and just can't see wasting 115grs. of powder just to punch paper and smaller game. the 30-378 shoots great and I have all of my drop charts calculated to a tee. Now I would like a rig that is just more for practice and as I stated earlier, antelope or predator hunting/ varmits.

6. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

6.5 x 284

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Post deleted by Len Backus

8. alexkeyser

thanks alot rick, great article and even better shooting

9. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

Rifle twist aside are the 180gr bullets too heavy for the 7mm wsm ?

10. linksmechanic

linksmechanic Well-Known Member

no there not. I have used them in a 7 rm and a wsm and they are one fine bullet.