• .264 Win Mag

Votes: 3 7.5%

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • .280 AI

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 7mm Rem Mag

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
I didn't speak to them but others were saying they will do customs on blanks you supply. it got my attention so I saved the website for future use

https://www.evolvedballistics.com/p...f-bacf-barrel-264-6-5mm-24-1-8-sendero-3.html

Proof makes a 1:8 barrel in 277 cal. However this one is out of stock. I think a 270 wsm 1:8 twist, loaded with Berger, Matrix, Hammer, Badlands bullets, will do everything you need and at low recoil. A 130 grain in 26" tube can be pushed close to 3400 fps and the 165-170 VLD style bullets will be around 3K with great ballistics.

https://www.evolvedballistics.com/p...f-bacf-barrel-264-6-5mm-24-1-8-sendero-3.html

Proof makes a 1:8 barrel in 277 cal. However this one is out of stock. I think a 270 wsm 1:8 twist, loaded with Berger, Matrix, Hammer, Badlands bullets, will do everything you need and at low recoil. A 130 grain in 26" tube can be pushed close to 3400 fps and the 165-170 VLD style bullets will be around 3K with great ballistics.
i talked to DJ @ proof today. they cut a bunch of SKU's and will only offer the 1:10 going forward; and only in the 26" length.

I am going to purchase parts for a lightweight custom hunting rifle based on a trued 700 long action. I am having a bit of trouble picking a cartridge. I do reload so its not a huge issue to do my own ammo. I also know that all of these are commercially available; some more than others.

I have it narrowed down to:

6.5x284
.264 win mag
.280 AI
7mm Rem mag.

The animals that could/would be hunted with this are Whitetail, Mule Deer, Antelope, Hogs and Elk. The max distance id feel comfortable taking a shot at with optimal conditions is about 500yds.

what do you guys suggest? Or better, what questions should i ask myself to help narrow the choices down? does the recommendation change if elk is off the list?

300 win mag, I've owned all of the ones you're considering and the 300 win mag destroys each of them

If you don't reload 7 mm Rem Magnum. I have never seen a box of 6.5x284 or .264 Win Mag in a walmart or in any of the Ma & Pa type general store in central Quebec while hunting there for over 15 years. Both have 7mm Rem Mag on the shelf.
While it is very powerful for whitetail and hog, there is no such thing as too dead. I believe it will serve you well.

Good luck

Jerry

Any of those will get the job done with the right bullet and shot placement. Some will likely do it better than others as more bullets are offered in some calibers and some have more energy downrange with high BC.

It is really about bullet choice and personal preference. Buy what you want and go with it...

I voted 280ai as it falls between the 270 win and 7mm rem mag. 270 win will take elk out to the range you are looking at. If I was starting new I would probably get the 280ai and be done until I got the itch again. Use a good bullet and you will be fine.

I have had several rifles built and to this day the 280AI is the one I reach for going out the door hunting most often, either that or the 6.5-284, both are superb cartridges, any of the ones you mention above will get the job done, it really is just some minor pros and cons for differences, in regards to recoil when I have a rifle built I usually start without a brake until I see how bad the punishment is, if its unmanageable/miserable at the range have a brake installed, I like lots of range time even with my hunting rifles.

If your going to the 7mm Rem Mag you Midas well step up to the 28 Nosler at least there's a measurable difference in performance over the 280AI.

Again If you are recoil sensitive just have a brake installed, you won't be disappointed.

Given your range requirement, my choice would be the 6.5x284 with no reservations.

I agree as my 6.5-284 is a pleasure to shoot, I have the exact same rifles built in 6.5-284 and 280AI and the 6.5-284 has noticeably less recoil than the 280AI

Just a side note I recently had a 6.5 PRC built and so far velocity is almost identical to the 6.5-284.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.