Long action cartridge choice?

If your stuck on the 7mm then probably the Sherman with a 1:8 twist to spin the bullets enough and not wonder if you needed more twist. Reason I say the Sherman is simply brass is cheaper and more available in most gun stores (still need to fire form) and the cartridge has more punch that the 280AI and if I'm correct on this the case is designed in such a way to not erode the throat of the barrel as much as a 7RM. At least this is all the research I have done for as reading post of others who have them. The only other susgestion I would make is keep it a 300WM, get a nice custom 1:9 twist barrel and a nice stock as well. Shoot the 215 bergers or any of the other around that weight or even the 230 bergers. Below is a title for a youtube vid from an Australia ELR shooter doing a comparsion between the 7RM and the 300 win mag. There a little difference in the impact and the amount of dope or drop being used. Wind call was basically the same. The 7mm was running about 100fps faster I think, Here the title.
7mm Rem Mag V 300Win Mag @ 2342yards.
Its from 4AW Mark and Sam After work.
They put out some pretty good videos of ELR shooting and the likes of. I think they are from Australia or New Zelaand. Any ways good stuff. I also have a savage that I want to re-barrel just having a hard time deciding on a 6.5 Sherman LA or the 7mm. From a bullet standpoint the 7mm is hard to beat (caliber) until you get to some heavy 30 stuff. That's why I also have a 300RUM.

I'm stuck on 7mm. If there wasn't such a thing as a 180 eld-match with a .796 bc then I'd be getting a 300 wsm to shoot the 208 eld or 215 berger hybrid. Looks like the 280 Sherman is just about unanimous!

Say what you like, but nothing fired from a human shoulder can touch the big bad 50 cal cartridge. The fuel cell is so outstanding that the bench mark 30-06 cartridge was the basis for it by the developer John Browning in his search for an anti-aircraft round.

If you're looking to keep the magnum bolt face, you could go with a 7-300 WM. I've been looking into that round for a little while and there are some impressive results with the 180 VLD. 300 WM brass is easy to find and easy to neck down as well.

But as others have mentioned, if looking into the 280 AI, you may as well get all the horsepower you can from the case and go 280 Sherman. My 6.5 Sherman is an incredible round!

If you're looking to keep the magnum bolt face, you could go with a 7-300 WM. I've been looking into that round for a little while and there are some impressive results with the 180 VLD. 300 WM brass is easy to find and easy to neck down as well.

But as others have mentioned, if looking into the 280 AI, you may as well get all the horsepower you can from the case and go 280 Sherman. My 6.5 Sherman is an incredible round!
I've considered the 7mm-300. It would be a very easy wildcat to do. I'm just not sure I need that much horse power. That's on par with the 28 Nosler. Im looking into the 280 sherman

go with the proven 7mm Gibbs off the '06 case and use Lapua 30'06 brass, don't get caught up in the hype about a .0000000011 longer neck and a 40 degree shoulder angle giving 20,0000 more shots of barrel life, that is pure nonsense used by some to promote their version off the same old tired case ......

contact PT&G and order a reamer they have in stock, get a copy of the print and send to Whidden Gunworks to start on your dies, be smart

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/7mm-75mm-nopix-showcart-/4437-7mm-gibbs-reamer.html

Theoretically, the short powder column of the 7mm Saum (or WSM) is more inherently accurate than the long 06' based rounds, or belted magnums. And Norma is (or did, as I have 200 rounds) making brass. Your bolt face is already set up. IMHO, if you want long range work, the short mags are best done in a long action. I tried on in a SA Savage and just never got results. Maybe me, maybe a dud barrel. I moved on, but the brass and dies are waiting, and I plan to return!!

I am having a 280 AI built out now on a 700 action. I like the fact I can get brass that has a proper head stamp and down the road, should someone get the gun and not be so interested in wildcats or fireforming, they can at least know it is (or was) a standard cartridge......

I think the Gibbs and Sherman suggestions are good too. But since you already have a magnum bolt face, hey, go with the flow.

Want adventure? 28 Nosler..... I am thinking it would be one helluva beast. Barrel life may be limited, but that is often in the hands of the shooter/loader.....

Or just KISS and go 7 RM. Get some fine Norma (or even better RWS) brass. If the 28 Nosler dies, you can get 7RM brass and loads forever.... Larry Willis makes a collet die (I think its a collet system) that will allow resizing, when needed, of a belted magnum, all the way to the belt. Might be cheaper in the long run than all the wildcats and avoid the uncertainty of 28 Nosler and 7mm short mags....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.