Help on caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you dont reload I would go 30/06 and or 300 win mag both have a wide variety of factory cartridges. If you reload there are a bunch that would work out real well but I've found any bullet 165 grns will handle both fine, but might be a little over kill for small white tail deer.

Haha, yeah I noticed the 300 is very popular !! Cvcobra1 I do reload . I love it it is therapy for me... lol. I enjoy doing things that not a lot of people do. For example shooting and hunting long range with a caliber that not a ton of people use. I enjoy thinking outside the box persay. Man the 280ai is a sexy round especially with the 40 degree shoulder !!

The 300 wm is hard to beat , you can find ammo anywhere .

It's difficult to fault the 300 WM. But, I prefer larger bores and heavier bullets....so, my vote stays with the .338 WM. Ammunition is readily available in most regions, wide selection of factory ammo, available from most rifle manufacturers, recoil very similar to the .300 WM, very efficient case capacity vs. bullet weight/velocity, from small big game to large dangerous game including much of Alaskan big game and large African Plains Game. Very effective from the muzzle to excess of 600 yards (depending upon bullet selection). What's not to like! memtb

I maybe wrong here, but in today's world I do not think the cartridge you shoot matters as much as the bullet you shoot out of it, and of course shot placement. People kill elk consistently with a .243 win.

You are just beginning the journey, and it's a fun one. Other things to consider is the rifle you want to use, or action you want to build on. I would start there, find what fits you the best and what makes you feel good holding it. Then look at what options in cartridges you have. If you build you can have whatever you want.

My vote though would be on the .280ai. Super versatile, can find factory ammo, but really shines when you load your own rounds.

Good luck and enjoy, this is always a fun time!

Man there seriously are so many cartridges out there! And I agree bullet selection is key, but I also love big bores with a ton of terminal energy. I'm not really beginning my journey but just having taken a break for two years .. haha soooo I guess I'm beginning again but I've been doing this for about 19 yrs !! Lol crazy how time flies.
So if I want to let's say neck down a round and develop my own lol .. is it as easy as selecting the parent round then necking it down to the caliber I want? Or am I missing a step? Here is me thinking outside the box.
Darrin

I went with a 7x300 win mag, couldn't decide between the two so I didn't.
180 class bullets at 3150 will stop anything you ask it to out to 1000.
Recoil is sharp but manageable and easy with a brake.
There's no wrong answer, recoil management would be my biggest concern, but I don't like heavy recoil. It doesn't bother some as much as me

Okay,
Guys I love in a state where I can hunt elk every year with an over the counter tag . However I will have to put in to draw a deer tag which I will do but I know It will take a while to draw. Help me decide on caliber for my new rifle. Two years ago I went through a divorce and sold my rifles to fund my attorney. Now I am on my feet and ready to get back in the game a put some animals on the ground!! I just need your help!! Thank you so much

Darrin

I like some 30 cals. Got a 300 prc, 300 win and 300 Norma. Had 10 rounds left out of a batch of 100 and not going to waste my time driving to the steel range with 10 rounds. So I decided to just shoot a 10 round group, if this, running a 215 berger at 3120 won't kill it nothing will.
3AC24F90-37EF-47B3-9441-D3DD2FCA38A1.jpeg

300 win or 7 rm will do you just fine. or any of the fancy cartridges in those calibers. good luck and have fun with the search

Not to argue with you....but you contradict yourself with "28 Nosler" and "shoot as much as you can"....unless you mean "shoot as much as you can for 500-800 rounds and you rebarrel". :D
The 28 is a fun round to work with. Challenging. I would add a very poor choice for someone with just one rifle, for a long list of reasons, the biggest one being, you just can't shoot it much. That alone is a deal killer for anyone with just one rifle. In 7MM a plain old boring 7RM would be the best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.