Help on caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man you guys rock!! I am so glad to be up and happy and back with you guys! It's been a long road but worth every minuet. Lol now there are so many choices on this thread!! My background before my divorce I have set up numerous 300 wins for long range work. And most recently had a 7stw . I know the old cliche I need a rifle that will kill anything small white tails to moose close and far . But lol if I'm being honest that's what I need. Of the choices here and on my own thinking here is the list I've come up with
1. 300 win
2. 7mm
3. 7stw
4. 280 AI
5. 30-06 AI
6. 338 win
7. 375 Ruger
8. 300 Rum
9. 300 prc
10.300 weatherby
So let's talk these . Thank you so much
Darrin

1. 300 win
2. 7mm
3. 7stw
4. 280 AI
5. 30-06 AI
6. 338 win
7. 375 Ruger
8. 300 Rum
9. 300 prc
10.300 weatherby
Darrin

300winmag has easily available amo wherever you go in the world.
A 300winmag is easily converted to any of the other 375h&h offsprings with a rechambering or barrel swap.
A 300weatherby has the edge over the winmag and 300winmag amo can be fired in it if emergency, but no idea if it's actually recommend.

Man you guys rock!! I am so glad to be up and happy and back with you guys! It's been a long road but worth every minuet. Lol now there are so many choices on this thread!! My background before my divorce I have set up numerous 300 wins for long range work. And most recently had a 7stw . I know the old cliche I need a rifle that will kill anything small white tails to moose close and far . But lol if I'm being honest that's what I need. Of the choices here and on my own thinking here is the list I've come up with
1. 300 win
2. 7mm
3. 7stw
4. 280 AI
5. 30-06 AI
6. 338 win
7. 375 Ruger
8. 300 Rum
9. 300 prc
10.300 weatherby
Darrin

Another vote for the .300 WM, no need to complicate it unnecessarily, esp. now that you're basically starting over. Good luck!

do what i did. i bought a big horn origin action with all three bolt heads, and wto switch lug. i have three shouldered up barrels, so in just 3 minutes or so i can go from 6.5 gap, to 6.5 creedmoor, then burn all the ammo i want with a 223. one rifle all barrels are magnum contour. big horn has a long action origin out. so the following would be fun. i love mine next will be the 6 gt.
7 mm rm
6.5 creedmoor
223 rem
all in one gun.

do what i did. i bought a big horn origin action with all three bolt heads, and wto switch lug. i have three shouldered up barrels, so in just 3 minutes or so i can go from 6.5 gap, to 6.5 creedmoor, then burn all the ammo i want with a 223. one rifle all barrels are magnum contour. big horn has a long action origin out. so the following would be fun. i love mine next will be the 6 gt.
7 mm rm
6.5 creedmoor
223 rem
all in one gun.

My version is .260 Remington & will soon be adding a .30 cal short mag, probably an SS.

1. 300 win
2. 7mm
3. 7stw
4. 280 AI
5. 30-06 AI
6. 338 win
7. 375 Ruger
8. 300 Rum
9. 300 prc
10.300 weatherby
Darrin
I think the 280 AI is pretty sexy. All of the ones you listed will obviously work well on elk. One thing I have noticed poking around a lot of different hunting camps is everyone and their dog shoots a 300wm or a 7rm - mostly because that is what their dad or grandpa shot. As soon as somebody throws out a 280AI or 6.5prc or 300prc or STW I know we can probably have some intelligent conversations about long range hunting.

In just one page of replies, the 300 WM got 2x the mentions as the next closest caliber. My guess is that no matter how many pages this post runs, the ratio is not going to change much. Not sure if OP is looking for much in the way of reasons why, but I would say if it was a simple vote on what he/she should get, there is enough votes to go buy a 300 WM!

i am sorry i was just making a statement about the 6.5 caliber. i live in the south so the 6.5 kill's deer size game dead. i killed a deer last year with my switch barrel, 6.5 saum at 632 yards dead in his tracks. i also have a 257 stw with a pac-nor super match. i would not elk hunt with it, but it's a deer's nightmare.

I prefer a 28 Nosler for big game. I think it's the perfect balance of knockdown to recoil, but many of the cartridges listed above will do just fine. Whatever you do put good glass on it and shoot as much as you can. That way you'll be ready for the shot when it comes.
Not to argue with you....but you contradict yourself with "28 Nosler" and "shoot as much as you can"....unless you mean "shoot as much as you can for 500-800 rounds and you rebarrel". :D

30-06....ammo is plentiful and a lot cheaper than other calibers mentioned. It will do anything you are intending to do. Go price a box of 300WinMag and a box of 30-06 ammo and make up your own mind. Inexpensive ammo will let you shoot a lot more and enjoy your rifle. This is assuming you are not a reloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts