Help me pick a caliber and chassis

dubs chops

WEll first of all Hello guys, Long time lurker first time poster. I have found so much good info here I figured this is where I would post my question.

I have an older Remington 700 ADL that my father gave me. it is a 7mm rem mag, Kicks like a mule, worst trigger ever lol.

I am going to build a magnum caliber or similar long range gun for general long range shooting and hunting. I have a 6.5 CM for the stuff 1000 and in. but Have had a hankering for a .338 Lapua as of late. Knowing I cannot build that off of this action I have started looking into other calibers. one being the .338 edge or even just the 300WM.

There are so many choices out there I am looking for you all opinions so it will help me have good info as I search through the interwebs.

BTW I do reload but would like to keep even my reloads to $1.00 or less for plinking and maybe $1.50 or so for good hunting rounds.

Lastly I will probably top this with either a Vortex PST FFP 6-24 or a Vortex Razor.
Everything else is pretty open.

OK I have about decided to keep it in 7mm but the fact I am going to re-barrel anyways has me thinking I should go ahead and make the swap to .300WM I always have had a soft spot for 7mm rem mag though. Ugh tough choices.

Now onto the chassis, The Whiskey 3 is pretty nice, But Also Pretty Pricey, The Manners Mini Chassis as well. Would the manners be considerably lighter?

OK I have about decided to keep it in 7mm but the fact I am going to re-barrel anyways has me thinking I should go ahead and make the swap to .300WM I always have had a soft spot for 7mm rem mag though. Ugh tough choices.

Now onto the chassis, The Whiskey 3 is pretty nice, But Also Pretty Pricey, The Manners Mini Chassis as well. Would the manners be considerably lighter?
If you are shooting and hunting @ ranges extending beyond 1,000 yards, look into the 7mm STW. It's case is bigger than the .300 WinMag, and you can propel 180gr Bergers to over 3,000 fps. And the trajectory is insanely flat. It's better on barrel life than the 7mm RUM is.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.