Getting a new pickup, help me decide

I have had carb problems in the past but they were few and I could fix it myself. Not with todays vehicles, that goes for Toyota too! But they and nearly all foreign vehicles are proven more reliable and will not see the inside of a repair shop near as often. Refer to reply #59 . Fuel injection cost me a bundle, just on a 6 cylinder Silverado well over $500, never cost me even $50 for carb repair on the older vehicle I had to fix. And with labor at $80 and up per hour, you want a vehicle that is dependable. One repair bill will cost you more than you are going to save on fuel for a long, long time! Have a wonderful 2018.

Good luck Rich, Most of my ride, well a lot of it I should say is off of the main roads. I ride the mountain dirt roads a lot here in PA hunting and fishing, so I need something that can take a beating and keep on ticking. If energizer made a vehicle I might consider it. Good luck on the Oregon trail in 2018 my friend.

The ecoboost will not run off e85 unless upgraded fuel pumps are used. They don't require premium but make most power when you do because they don't pull timing or boost.
Buck sorry but the fact is Toyota has had more than a fair share of problems. First they built a reputation off the small tocoma. Rangers and s-10s all also ran forever. In fact the prob have the worst full size out. They have had multiple frame issues and many many warranty problems with the full sized trucks. Being from Michigan and having Dana corporate right in town most engineering and testing happens right here so we kinda get inside scope. If I were to buy a smaller truck Toyota would be first on my list but last on the full size end.

From my 2016 F150 w/3.5L Ecoboost manual:

We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some fuel stations offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. We do not recommend fuels with an octane rating below 87. For vehicles with EcoBoost engines, to provide improved performance, we recommend premium fuel for severe duty usage such as trailer tow. Do not use any fuel other than those recommended because they could lead to engine damage that may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

From my 2016 F150 w/3.5L Ecoboost manual:

We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some fuel stations offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. We do not recommend fuels with an octane rating below 87. For vehicles with EcoBoost engines, to provide improved performance, we recommend premium fuel for severe duty usage such as trailer tow. Do not use any fuel other than those recommended because they could lead to engine damage that may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

That is correct. The hpfp can not flow enough tot run ethanol. Livernois offers an upgraded one that allows straight e but it's $1800. Does add lots of power though. I have one on my RS.
Fords system is very high tech allowing you to run 87. It monitors for knock and when it's present it instantly pulls timing and boost to keep from damaging the engine. Easy way to make turbo engines run low grade fuel. But if you run 93 like in towing it will not pull either and you will have full hp and trq. That's why you see the hp rating for these say 93 oct. same system chevy runs of the turbo cars they have.

We all have different priorities I guess. Many choices for all of us. When I first saw that Chevrolet commercial where they drop bricks into the beds of chev and ford, i didnt know if I believed it or not. I believe it now;)

Hard to find a pickup today without a plastic bed liner in the box. At least pickup
I have had since the 1990's I have had a plastic bed liner in. Drive a snowmobile in a pickup with a steel box and the carbides are going to cut the paint and gouge the steel, put a plastic bed liner in and no issue. Drop a tool box or some bricks in an aluminum Ford box with a plastic bed liner and no issue. I kind of chuckle ever time I see that Chevy commercial. What ever floats ones boat and makes you happy is the brand to buy.

Yep buy what you like cause it's your money. I try and give an honest opionion on my experiences and how I use it. Other use them diffrent so what is good for me may not be for someone else.

I want the pickup to be able to haul one elk. Otherwise I want quiet freeway travel and enough traction to go if there is light snow.

Reminds me of the day my uncle pulled into the ranch yard with 4 bull elk in the back of a Willy's Jeep Pickup. I don't think it rode very well on the highway nor was it particularly quiet. Ha ha... I need to find the picture and copy it.

The ecoboost will not run off e85 unless upgraded fuel pumps are used. They don't require premium but make most power when you do because they don't pull timing or boost.
Buck sorry but the fact is Toyota has had more than a fair share of problems. First they built a reputation off the small tocoma. Rangers and s-10s all also ran forever. In fact the prob have the worst full size out. They have had multiple frame issues and many many warranty problems with the full sized trucks. Being from Michigan and having Dana corporate right in town most engineering and testing happens right here so we kinda get inside scope. If I were to buy a smaller truck Toyota would be first on my list but last on the full size end.
Sorry 801 ; both of my brothers have had ford rangers that were 4 wheel drives. Had problems getting them to go into 4 wheel drive, when they did they couldn't make it up a snow covered hill to get behind the mountain. And Toyota did have a couple of years that the frames were defective, and they bought them back from the owners that would part with them for way over book price. And that's a fact. Show me where the others ever did that. Refer to # 59. There are none so blind as he who will not see. Nuff Said.

I'm not saying they are a bad truck just they all have problems. we have a very large yota dealer in town and they became popular for a bit they just didn't work as good as the fords or gm for most. We could all cherry pick people we knew with problems as fact my best friend just had to get his tacome a warranty motor. Brand new truck. I've had many rangers and s-10 go an easy 300,000. I've had a few issues along the way but the way I abuse my trucks I can't complain. My 15 ecoboost went from 302 hp at the wheels to 528 with bolt ons. It's now got 140,000. Been to the drag strip many times and pulls my work trailer everywhere. As matter a fact I was racing a f-250 with my trailer and got it up to 130mph. Thought my enclosed trailer was gonna fold over. That lasted about 10 miles before the trans got real hot. So it's a very durable truck.
Oh ya who else drive toyota oh that's right Prius drives.

My 15 ecoboost went from 302 hp at the wheels to 528 with bolt ons. It's now got 140,000. Been to the drag strip many times

US 131 Martin, Mi. or Central Michigan Dragway/Mid Michigan Motorplex Stanton, Mi.?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.