Help Me Pick a Bipod

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Roktoys84, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Roktoys84

Roktoys84 Active Member

I'm looking at Harris bipods and I'm having a hard time figuring out which height to get. I've never shot off a bipod before, and I don't know anyone that has one to try. I've been reading and decided on a swiveling model with notched legs. I'll be using it for shooting prone, occasionally off of a bench. What is the most popular height of bipods?

2. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

You will not be disappointed in the leg notch swivel model. I have all kinds of Harris bipods and the LN is by far my favorite. Height is up to you they all have there place but overall the 9-13" gets the most play.

3. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

leg notch swivel 9-13

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Guys here seem to prefer the leg-notch model but I never did. One was shipped to me by mistake once. I tried it out and then sent it back for the friction lock model. Which model is "better" is very subjective.

If you are shooting mostly from the bench the 6"-9" BR model is the best, IMO anyway. Higher bipods will force you to have the rifle butt too high off the bench for good stability. The 6"-9" model also works well when shooting prone. You will not need more than 9" at the forearm for shooting prone and sometimes less works better. If you want to shoot sitting or kneeling than a longer bi-pod is necessary.

I've been shooting groundhogs for many years and have always used a Harris bi-pod. I've got lots of them in various lengths. Longer bi-pods are better for getting your sight plane over vegetation or for positions other than prone.

Just my 2 cents

5. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

Oops I meant canting, not swivelling. I find cant to be a more useful feature than swivel

6. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

The shorter model is better most of the time. If you are hunting mountainous terrain and are on a downhill, it's tough to get enough elevation to shoot across a canyon. Typically in that situation, you'll pile your coat, backpack etc. and then use the bipod on top of that.

AJ

7. LEFTYM77

LEFTYM77 Well-Known Member

I find the 9-13 too high for prone shooting...but I am only 5'6" haha i find the 6-9 comfy from the bench or prone although I don't use my bi-pod much off the bench just my 2 cents

8. mattj

mattj Well-Known Member

both?

In his long range hunting video, Shawn Carlock says that he has a 6-9" on his rifle, but also carries a 9-13" in his pack (and a pair of shooting sticks). I'd never really considered that, but makes a helluva lot of sense to me -- neither the cost nor the small amount of consumed space/weight seem significant enough to dissuade me from have an extra tool handy in case its needed :)

9. landcbeitner

landcbeitner Well-Known Member

I like 6"-9" for prone shooting, you'd want even shorter for shooting off a bench.

10. rocky_lange

rocky_lange Well-Known Member

From the bench I would pick a 6-9". But, for me shooting prone, I like the 9-13". I am taller laying down than when I am standing, but you skinny little guys might not have the same problem:p.\

As far as notched leg versus friction lock, I have not tried the notched yet, but I NEED to buy one. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I am firing from the bench, the left leg on my bipod begins to slip and shorten after a few shots and needs to be reset. The force of the rifle dropping back to the bench after the recoil is to much for my bipod to handle. I currently have it tightened using a pliers so it doesn't slip, but it makes it kind of useless like that in the field if I need a pliers to loosen it for adjustment.

Just my $.02. I accept PayPal and Money Orders.

Rocky

11. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

I use the Harris BR swivel-version (notched legs) with Pod-Lok: Works great for me for all of my prone uses.

12. NRA_Guns_Winnner

NRA_Guns_Winnner Member

Forget the Swivel, Unless you have a level by your scope. If you shoot a few hundred yards and are not level (Scope to Barrel plumed true) The point of impact will shift. I shoot a model 700 VSF with a jewell trigger and 4X16 mil dot scope. A bipod can degrade your ability if you don't use properly. I'd at least make sure the swivel bolt nut whatever has a good amount of friction.

13. CentreHit

CentreHit Well-Known Member

Roktoys84 Bipod Question?

"I'll be using it for shooting prone, occasionally off of a bench. What is the most popular height of bipods?"

Hi there Roktoys84,

I would be using the smaller Harris bipod for exactly what you are trying to do - shoot prone. When I hunt prone, the smaller bipod is ideal. On my rifle now I have the 6-9" notched legs and for what I use it for it's great. Shooting off the bench is also great with the 6-9", I've just discovered that you also must have a rear rest too (much smaller groups;)).

Cannot comment on the swivel base as I don't own one.

Cheers.

14. linksmechanic

linksmechanic Well-Known Member

Most guys in this kind of shooting have a level on there guns. For long range shooting the swivel model is by far the best.