Help me make a decision...

My 6.5x284 carries the VX-5 3-15x44. It's my go to hunting rifle right now.
I am all about keeping weight down and functionality but I love that rig.

I went with ATACR, 4-16x50 MOAR. I prefer SFP for hunting over FFP, which is why I didn't buy 4-20. Very happy with the scope. I have Nightforce NXS on two other rifles.

Alright everyone, I can't make a decision on a scope and it's driving me nuts. I've been researching my *** off and I think I'm more confused now....decision paralysis. I'm having a new 6.5-284 built that I'll be using for hunting and shooting steel. I'd rather have a touch heavy rifle than a feather light one but I also don't want to drag a boat anchor around the mountains. My best guess on bare rifle weight for the build will be around 7.5lbs, sans scope. I hunt mostly open terrain, spot/stalk type of hunting but I have killed a few in the trees up close while getting to my glassing spot. My requirements are reliability, quality glass, and moa. I'm not set on ffp or sfp as I have both right now....I might be leaning ffp for this gun though. Here's what I'm thinking so far for options ( in no particular order)

1. Leupold Mk5 3.6-18
2. Atacr 4-20
3. March 3-24x52
4. Nx8 4-32
5. ZCO 4-20

I really like everything about the MK5 but the reliability keeps me from pulling the trigger right now. The Atacr looks great but just a touch heavy. I've never looked through a March but I hear great things and it is light. The Nx8, it doesn't seem to be great anywhere but it's seems good all around. The ZCO sounds great but the price is up at the very top of my budget but if it's head and shoulders above the rest than I might be willing to go that way.

Any words of advice or options that I haven't thought about?
"....driving me nuts." Your friends report you're already there, it's not even worth starting the truck. :) :) :)

If you have the money to buy the ZCO, stop freaking out and buy it.

If you are trying to get the best bang for the buck, the Mk5 is very nice, USA-made, and kick but turret systems. We've used at least 1000 of those, and we've had virtually zero issues.
One never hears anything bad about the MK5 Leupold.
I have only Vari-X 3 and I have had problems. Great warranty but that isn't going to help you in the field.
All were erector problems except for 1 for parallax lens coming loose.
I would buy a MK5 though.

I have yet to hear any negatives regarding Nightforce scopes, especially the ATACR line. Reliability is excellent. Used by military and LE, so they're good enough for me. One look through, and I swapped off my Leupold and Zeiss. Okay, they're a bit heavier, but that's true with most high end optics. Get the best you can afford - optics is not the place to count pennies.

Last edited:
Alright everyone, I can't make a decision on a scope and it's driving me nuts. I've been researching my *** off and I think I'm more confused now....decision paralysis. I'm having a new 6.5-284 built that I'll be using for hunting and shooting steel. I'd rather have a touch heavy rifle than a feather light one but I also don't want to drag a boat anchor around the mountains. My best guess on bare rifle weight for the build will be around 7.5lbs, sans scope. I hunt mostly open terrain, spot/stalk type of hunting but I have killed a few in the trees up close while getting to my glassing spot. My requirements are reliability, quality glass, and moa. I'm not set on ffp or sfp as I have both right now....I might be leaning ffp for this gun though. Here's what I'm thinking so far for options ( in no particular order)

1. Leupold Mk5 3.6-18
2. Atacr 4-20
3. March 3-24x52
4. Nx8 4-32
5. ZCO 4-20

I really like everything about the MK5 but the reliability keeps me from pulling the trigger right now. The Atacr looks great but just a touch heavy. I've never looked through a March but I hear great things and it is light. The Nx8, it doesn't seem to be great anywhere but it's seems good all around. The ZCO sounds great but the price is up at the very top of my budget but if it's head and shoulders above the rest than I might be willing to go that way.

Of the scopes you list, I'd go with the March for its lighter weight, zoom range, great field of view, and image quality.
If you can put up with 30oz, consider the S&B 3-20 ultra short- it has the same features with low profile turrets which are more ideally suited to a hunting rille. Available in FFP or SFP it's ruggedness and optic quality are unsurpassed.
IMO Nightforce lack in brightness and field of view to be a great hunting scope.

I've talked to panhandle precision about the mark5 he and his son use them. Sam told me he's very happy with the mark 5. His son competed a lot last year, thousand of bumps and turret twisting, never had a problem. The ATACR doesn't need a pep rally, it's solid as they come.
Also might want to look at his video on the Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS II Riflescope: Initial Review & Tracking Test I know the scope has been replaced by a new model ELITE TACTICAL 3.5-21X50 DMR3 but he had high praises for the model he reviewed.

I'd like to offer another perspective to consider. All your choices are good, and that ZCO would sure be hard to beat, and I really relate to the analysis part, but to me it depends on your actual use, % hunting versus steel. Grew up in Oregon hunting 100% with Leupolds, along with almost every hunter I knew there. More hunting than target shooting for 58 years, although I'm not hunting much lately due to work. After Leupolds I moved on to several Nightforce and US Optics models. Both are awesome equipment, but not really for me. I found that even with scope covers, both quickly became "less useful" hunting in the rain. You don't want to be shuffling for something to carefully dry an expensive lens as a big buck wanders off. I've been desperate enough to lick an ocular lens just to get a fleeting shot. Not to mention a little heavy at 2+ pounds, if there is any physical exertion involved. Roughly 20 years ago I switched to Bushnell Elite 6500. 6.5x zoom range, 2.5x-16x. Rainguard lens coating so water beads and runs off (like Rain-X on your car windshield). Excellent optically, 21 ounces, solid design and quality, lifetime warranty. I like the combo of 2.5x for close in hunting (eg moving deer under me in a climber treestand), and up to 16x for longer shots. It's never failed me in the rain. I'm a lifelong holdover shooter so never really adapted to FFP and dial-ups anyway. Maybe when I retire I'll take that on. Except for a nice Nightforce on a long range target rifle (Bartlein, Defiant, Surgeon, Manners, Jewel by Willie Roscoe), nearly every rifle wears an Elite 6500. I think I have 7 or 8 now. I also put pic rails on all my rifles that didn't already have them, and all the 6500's in Bobro Engineering one-piece QD mounts. Consistent controls on nearly every rifle now, and further flexibility to pop an existing scope on rifles I don't shoot as much, such as my in-line muzzleloader, without buying and dedicating another scope to them. I've been very happy with this approach. Of course I guess I could have just said, consider some sort of hydrophobic lens coating option if you plan to leave the bench and shoot in the weather (;

1. Leupold Mk5 3.6-18
2. Atacr 4-20
3. March 3-24x52
4. Nx8 4-32
5. ZCO 4-20

I have 2 of the MK5 leupolds, onebis on a 6.5x284. Great scopes, no issues with tracking or return to zero. The zero stop is awesome.

Also might want to look at his video on the Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS II Riflescope: Initial Review & Tracking Test I know the scope has been replaced by a new model ELITE TACTICAL 3.5-21X50 DMR3 but he had high praises for the model he reviewed.
I totally agree, I have the DMR2 and my buddy has the xrs2, I'll probably always have at least one DMR2. From the original DMR up to the DMR2 and I have no doubts the new 3 series elite tacticals, have track record for robust performance, reliability, and less warranty returns.
Extremely solid scopes. Both the DMR2 and XRS2 are thoug to beat.
Duty worthy for sure.

1. Leupold Mk5 3.6-18
2. Atacr 4-20
3. March 3-24x52
4. Nx8 4-32
5. ZCO 4-20
Cross off 1…probably doesn't hold zero. (I'm sure others will disagree with me…and that's ok.)

keep 2…..pretty heavy; short eye relief; reticles will suck on low power

cross off 3…no decent Xmas tree reticles

keep 4….also shorter 3.5" eye relief; reticles will suck on low power

keep 5….also shorter 3.5" eye relief; pretty heavy;

Obviously they are all great optics, but I don't think I'd spend that kind of money without some clear info(like Nightforce has) that it would hold zero with a drop. I also would want a good min/max reticle appearance. I would want locking turrets for hunting.

I look at my safe full of crappy FFP scopes and I see….

1) They are all holding zero from what I've tested. I need to do some intentional drops.

2) They all dial to my dope exactly and back

3) they all have usable eye relief, but the Vortex's are 3.4" and the dang scope just grazes my face sometimes. Others are closer to 4" which is better.

4) most weigh under 32 oz, but the fat one is 34oz

5) they all have an Xmas tree reticle I can see on low power short range and mil measure stuff at distance.

6) glass….sure they have that. I can see my target so it must be good enough glass, cause not good is when I can't see….what is great glass?

I generally spend $600 - $1300…I expect to compromise some. At $3500….I just want it right.