Help me make a decision...

The Leupold is 26oz, Atacr is 35, March is 24.5, ZCO is 34.8.

So I basically have 2 lighter and then 2 heavier options. For my long-range rigs I like them to be between 9-10lbs and both of the heavier scopes would put me right in that range.

I think right now I'm leaning towards either the MK5 or Atacr.
I've talked to panhandle precision about the mark5 he and his son use them. Sam told me he's very happy with the mark 5. His son competed a lot last year, thousand of bumps and turret twisting, never had a problem. The ATACR doesn't need a pep rally, it's solid as they come.

The Leupold is 26oz, Atacr is 35, March is 24.5, ZCO is 34.8.

So I basically have 2 lighter and then 2 heavier options. For my long-range rigs I like them to be between 9-10lbs and both of the heavier scopes would put me right in that range.

I think right now I'm leaning towards either the MK5 or Atacr.
You might consider the ATACR 4-16. It's lighter than the one you listed I believe and it still rock solid. I ran one for a couple years and really liked it. Never needed more than 16x for any hunting I was doing.

You might consider the ATACR 4-16. It's lighter than the one you listed I believe and it still rock solid. I ran one for a couple years and really liked it. Never needed more than 16x for any hunting I was doing.
I've thought about that but for target I really like a little more on the top end. I have quite a few 3-15's right now and when shooting long I wish I could get in tighter. It's not a big deal banging steel but shooting for groups it helps me.

I'd cross off the NX8 personally.

In my experience, the ZCO420 is head and shoulders better than Mk5 and ATACR. Only real downside to ZComp is weight and the shorter optic can be problematic if mounting on a long action without adjustable cheek piece.

I haven't had the March, so can't comment there from experience, but I've read a lot about poor eyebox, shallow DoF, poor performance on high mag, etc. I think the 4.5-28 High Master would be the March to get.

I use nightforce HSV it's got great optics and fairly reasonable price. I have two and no problems

Alright everyone, I can't make a decision on a scope and it's driving me nuts. I've been researching my *** off and I think I'm more confused now....decision paralysis. I'm having a new 6.5-284 built that I'll be using for hunting and shooting steel. I'd rather have a touch heavy rifle than a feather light one but I also don't want to drag a boat anchor around the mountains. My best guess on bare rifle weight for the build will be around 7.5lbs, sans scope. I hunt mostly open terrain, spot/stalk type of hunting but I have killed a few in the trees up close while getting to my glassing spot. My requirements are reliability, quality glass, and moa. I'm not set on ffp or sfp as I have both right now....I might be leaning ffp for this gun though. Here's what I'm thinking so far for options ( in no particular order)

1. Leupold Mk5 3.6-18
2. Atacr 4-20
3. March 3-24x52
4. Nx8 4-32
5. ZCO 4-20

I really like everything about the MK5 but the reliability keeps me from pulling the trigger right now. The Atacr looks great but just a touch heavy. I've never looked through a March but I hear great things and it is light. The Nx8, it doesn't seem to be great anywhere but it's seems good all around. The ZCO sounds great but the price is up at the very top of my budget but if it's head and shoulders above the rest than I might be willing to go that way.

Any words of advice or options that I haven't thought about?
ZC or the March but I would avoid FFP if I were you. I have the March 3-24 on my custom 6.5 SAUM and it is great.

I'd definitely include the new Zeiss LRP S5 5x25-56 in the mix. The best glass and the best elevation travel with a 140 MOA, plus FFP.

The poster didn't mention Zeiss, but I will. I started buying better scopes for 6 different caliber of rifles for Prarie dogs. They are all SFP as I see no reason to buy a FFP for hunting. I have a ZCO on order, but that's for competition
I have two ATACR's, a Viper pst, and three Zeiss v6 5-30
The Zeiss v6 has around 60 moa of elevation which gets you out to around 800 yds with a 6.5CM. It's a reasonably light
scope with excellent glass (Schott)

Last edited: