Help with scope decision...

freed0m man

Just wanting some help deciding on a scope for my hunting rifle. It's a Model 70 chambered in 30-06. It will mostly be used for whitetail hunting and if the opportunity arises muley and elk would be nice. :D So I'm looking for a scope in the $400-600 range, possibly with a BDC reticle so I can get some hold overs for shots. I've looked at the Nikon Monarch line and I was wandering if anyone had experience or opinions of this scope. Also, I welcome the submission of other scopes as well.

Thanks for the input.

freed0m

Just wanting some help deciding on a scope for my hunting rifle. It's a Model 70 chambered in 30-06. It will mostly be used for whitetail hunting and if the opportunity arises muley and elk would be nice. :D So I'm looking for a scope in the $400-600 range, possibly with a BDC reticle so I can get some hold overs for shots. I've looked at the Nikon Monarch line and I was wandering if anyone had experience or opinions of this scope. Also, I welcome the submission of other scopes as well.

Thanks for the input.

freed0m
I have several of the monarchs, they are good glass at a reasonable price. But perhaps the best deal in your price range is the 3-9x40 Zeiss conquest. That is a heck of alot of glass for right at $400. Also the 3.5-10x40 or the 2.5-8x36 Leupy are good glass as well, just a lttle more $$$. Although I personally have no experience with them, seems like the Vortex scopes are pretty good from all the internet chatter they are getting.

I have an older Burris Fulfield II 4.5-12x42 with Ballistic Plex reticle that I bought used from an LRH member for $250 about 2 years ago and sits on top of my .338 Win Mag and am very pleased with it.

Good luck!

Ed

Go to Horusvision.com and check out the Horus Hawk. It has all you will need in a hunting scope. Has a 8 mil gride and it is not too costly. I have shot it out to 2500 yards with a 338/378 Ackley and shot under moa(23 inch 5 shot group). After I started this post I went to the Horus sight and found that the price had been raised to 690.00. I got mine for 550.00 only a few years ago, so this might not be the scope for your price range. There are several nice scopes in the 700.00 range. The Hawk is a very good hunting scope even at 700.00.

+1 on the Vortex. Also check out the options that Sightron has to offer. I have several buddies that use Sightrons and they are very pleased with them.

Another vote for the vortex! Take a look at the Viper. They are impressive for the price. The PST is a little more expensive, but packed with features....

Another vote for the 4-12x40 Vortex Viper. The glass is good, the adjustments are Very consistant and I couldn't be happier. Low light performance is pretty good. Only drawback on this one is the crosshair is a little on the thick side. BDC reticle is simple and with my 7 08 fairly close out to about 575 yards.

Not to mention Vortex will make a custom turret for your scope using your data!

Its pushing the top of your budget but go for the Zeiss. Much better scope. I have 3 now but if I had an '06 that I used for white tails and muleys...Id get a 3-9X model and be happy as a clam.

BTW....Nothing wrong with that Monarch....I bought one to put on a 25-06AI Im having built

Put a Vortex 4-16x44HSLR on my 7mag and I really like it. Glass is crystal clear, adjustments are dead on, fit and finish were great. I had some issues with the original purchase, looked like the scope had been mounted with a crushed tube. Returned it to Vortex and it was replaced with a brand new scope, no questions asked. The scope was accidentally shipped to me after being placed in the wrong area by the distributor. Honest mistake that Vortex had no problem making right. It made me a Vortex customer for life, plus the scope is awesome.

I would give the Vortex Viper HS 5-15 x 44 a try as it is made for Midway and if you are lucky you can catch it on sale for $399.00 regular price is $499 and it has shims to make it zero stop! The turrets are very positve click adjust and the glass is excellent as well as having a 30mm tube and with their no question warranty it's really a no lose situation I believe but that is just my .02 opinion. That should be a perfect match for your 30/06.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.