Help help coyotes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

haywire05

need help setting up my gun no problem shoting them out to 300 yards but past that no accuracy or knowleadge . Anyone on here in the central alberta area that has experience setting up a gun .

Shot 7 coyotes today but saw 30 for the last 3 days straight . now they are staying out there 400 plus yards taunting me . all day today .

I have been reading numerous threads on here trying to do this . Now I need to ask for help . Dont have a chrono so dont know what speed I am shooting at . Just going by the loading manuel . I well buy what ever equipment I need to get this gun set up as I am seriously looking at getting into long range shooting . As I am currently building a new gun to get started . It is going to be a 7mm rem mag . going to use a jewel trigger with a brux barrel and a rem action to start with . let me know what you think . havent decided on a stock yet and going to use a 6-24x50 bushnell elite 4200 ao .

What I want to start with is the gun i need help getting tuned up . Looking for 700 yards or farther on a stock ruger m-77 6mm rem with a 6-24 x50ao bushnell and the heavy varmint barrell . looking to set it up like John Burns does as dont have time to look at a spread sheet when out in the field . Want to dial the gun in rather fast . range and shoot . Is this possible or am I wasting my time and everybody elses .
If there is a class or school that anybody knows about in alberta canada or rather close for that matter please I would like to know . Cheers Jason

You can set up your rig like you are describing. You will need a chrono though (CED Milaneum is a good one), Exball ballistics program ($75) and a scope with multiple cross hairs, dots or something.

Scopes that work are the Swarovski and Kahles with the TDS, Nikon BDC, Burris Bplex, and Leupold with the Boone and Crocket or the Varmint reticle.

It really is relatively simple. Get the MV off the chrono, set up a 200 yard zero on the gun.

The exbal has a reticle configuration tool that allows you to figure out exact zeros for each line or dot etc. You can email the scope companies and you must have the exact distance between each line/dot/circle at 100 in inches.

You simply put the data for the load into exbal, setup for temp, elevation and 200 zero. Hit calculate and it will give you the drops out to 1000. Then go to the reticle tool and either find your reticle or build a custom reticle and change the power settings from the max to lower levels and right the yardages down for each setting.

Here is a real world example. My 300 WSM carry gun with a Kahles 3-9 (center crosshair and 4 lines below) shooting the 168 Barnes TTSX at 3351 fps. I use a 200 yard zero, and have a small credit card laminated card in my wallet and labels on the side of the stock that give distances for each line at 6x, 7x 8x and 9x

They start at 317 and go to 840 yds.

Here are my distances for the 6x are 367-552- 700-840 yards

My 9x is 317-452-560-675 yards.

They are are about 15 yd intervals for the first line and about 45-60 for the fourth line. the first line going from 9x to 6x is 317-330-346-367 yds. I have shot and confirmed the zeros out to over 650 yards also.

I have set multiple guns up like this using Swarovskis, Burris, Leupolds and the Nikons also.

I personally prefer the TDS reticles as they also have a 10mph wind built in at the end of the lines. On the 6-18x Swaros, I usually set them up at 18x, 15x, 12x, 9x and 6x. Do not want too much information. Keep it simple, managable and quick.

this is fast, no clicking, simply adjust the power ring to the closest range and shoot. It will work to over 600 as I have done that routinely.

BH

Why are your 6x numbers longer ranges than the higher power on your scope . Would you not want to shoot farther out on a higher power ? My bushnell is mil dot so it should work . Guess iam looking for a crono now as well . . Anything else I should buy well iam at it . thanks for the info BH

30 coyotes a day!!!!!!!
man what I would give to be there with my 6.5 Gibbs!

well you'll need a bipod, I like the harris 9-13" with notches and swivel, a level for your scope, and a rear bag.
RR

The info that BH gives is spot on for the method you want to use.

I prefer the "click to everything" method, where you range the coyote and make adjustment for elevation.

I have spent time in your neck of the woods, Grand Prairie, Whanam, and Peace River, and I had my hands full with my method. In one Canola field I had seven coyotes within 600 yards one morning as they spooked a dandy 6x6 Bull into the bush. Managed to get two of them, but the shooting was fast and furious.

they are everywhere up here right now breeding like crazy. Saw 17 in one field this morning . Got another 5 but still could get more if I could shoot better. ordering a chrono right now. need to get this figured out right now . If anybody wants to shoot coyotes give me a call . I well start to fiqure this out . I well post a pic of the dogs as well in a minute . Is this an easier way than getting a custom turret built for the top and just clicking up the elevation like the botw scope or john burns leopold ?

111.jpg

here is this mornings dogs 6 in total with about 60 more in the field waiting for bullets .the bumper is what happened when i went to retieve my prizes . **** snow banks

110.jpg

Here is the damage to the truck $800 dollars for $60 dollars in coyotes . **** addictions. worth every penny

Got my chrono today heading out to the range in my backyard. Cant wait to get this gun set up for lrh . Iam stoked . gun). . . . . . . . . . . . . . :)

Can someone or bountyhunter please elaborate on why the higher the power the lower the yardage and the lower the power the farther the yardage. As per bountyhunters explanation on the first page . Thanks Jason

Jason, its simply because with the reticle in the second focal plane, it remains the same size at all powers, but as the power goes down the field of view increases. so there is actualy more distance between the dots or substentions on lower powers so they allow for more drop on lower powers.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.