Help!

texas270

I've made a (big?) mistake with a special rifle. 270 custom Win. that shoots .3 MOA as far out as I've tested (370 yards). Some of my reloads were sticking. I have been resizing the necks and bumping the shoulders, but not resizing the cases otherwise. Got the idea to paint one of the cartridges that wouldn't chamber to see where the paint would scratch off to find where the resizing was needed. Somewhat jammed the cartiridge in and it is now totally locked up. Nothing I can do will dislodge it and I am afraid that some random gunsmiths "fix" might hurt the rifle.

Any experienced insight as to an approach to fix this will be MUCH appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Toss the whole thing in a deep freezer for a while. It'll contract the metal a little and hopefully let you open the action.

Last edited:
If freezing does not work try to heat it up with a propane torch if the shell has been fired. Be careful not to get it to hot. If you fired the round open the bolt up so you can put a cleaning rod down the muzzle and drive the shell and the bolt out with a hammer when it is hot enough to soften the paint.

joseph

Texas270 ..... If you're in or around the DFW area and don't feel comfortable dealing with a stuck case a good alternative would be to call or stop by S & S Precision Rifles. All of the numbers and address are on their website at S and S Precision Rifles

These guys are top shelf and have built me 8 rifles over the past 10-12 years.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.