Having accuracy issues... Cooper rifle, Leupold scope

GetReel

Ok so I have a Cooper Excaliber 6.5x284 topped with a VXiii 4.5-14x40 long range scope. I was checking zero at an indoor range (100yrds). I hadn't shot this rifle in 2 yrs now, I was using Nosler Trophy Grade 130 accubonds as well as HSM 140 Berger vld's.... Neither cartridge would group for me. About 2-3" groups....
I know I was rock steady off bags and clean trigger breaks on point.... Just wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to check if the scope is out of whack or what....
Thanks in advance.

is it a wood stock, has it warped. handloads? if so correct powder? was it shooting well 2 yrs ago? try a scope known to be good. a little more info . hope you figure it out.

I've never had good luck with Leupold and kicked them to the curb many years ago (I know, not relevant..). I would give a quick call to Cooper and see if they have any ideas you can look at. I shoot a Cooper that is far more accurate than I am, I can maintain easy .5 MOA out to 600 yds shooting a 143gr Hammer they loaded for me (600 is the longest for me where i live)

I would start with the phone call/email and then look at getting "professional help" (I say that politely) and see if someone like Steve Davis at Hammer bullets can work up something for you, his round did wonders for me on the bull elk I harvested a few days ago

We assume you've done all the simple normal stuff. Checked that screws were tight, bbl still free floated. Crown not dinged.

Try a scope that is a known quantity. I've had good luck with Leupold glass and their guarantee Will fix it if it's broke.

Even factory ammo should get you inside an inch and a half. I've owned two Coopers, but both of mine were rimfire. No accuracy problems with mine.:D

if you have a pic rail, i would be more than happy to lend you a scope (if you need one) my rifle hunting is done for the year and i get up to the fargo area at least once a month

I don't have a pic rail. Is that something I should look into instead? I was planning on buying a different scope anyway, something with more magnification. Looking really hard at 1 of 2 scopes, either a Cabelas (made by Vortex) Intrepid HD 30mm 4.5-22x50 or NightForce SVH 5-20x56

personal preference i guess. moving forward i will have a pic rail on all my rifles, it was only my latest purchase, which was a cooper, did i get a rail... and i am sold.

cant go wrong with nightforce, never looked through a SHV but i am saving my pennies for another NXS in the near future. there are mixed emotions about vortex, i have a razor hd lh and while it has some downfalls, in my opinion, it is a pretty good deal for what you get.

on a side note, if you ever want to see if the investment of getting a hand load developed from hammer is worth your hard earned money, let me know and i will be more than happy to let you shoot my 7mm with a round they developed for me vs a factory loaded round in a side by side comparison

Thanks for all the info scottyboy, I'll be putting on the SHV more than likely and also more than likely sending equipment off to hammer. My confidence will be much better with "professional help"
I'm ok with paying for help knowing it will get me on the right path

Stay in touch, we will take good care of you and your rifle.

Thank you Scotty for the reference.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.