Remington 700 accuracy issues, suggestions?

Jhowe

Hello, I am new to the forum and making my first post. I have searched everywhere I know to search and tried to find help with my issue in the other discussion topics, so if I'm making a duplicate post I apologize and please redirect me. I recently bought a new Remington 700 .300 Win mag. I had the stock replaced with a B & C Medalist, action bedded, barrel floated, Jewel trigger upgrade, and had it blue printed. Put a VX 6 on top with the Leupold STD rings and bases. My issue is that the best group I have been able to get is 1.5" at 100 yds. That is shootingBarnes TTSX, Hornady interlock sp, and Remington core lokt all 180 gr. Pretty much my 3 go-to factory ammo for accuracy. I know factory remington barrels can be finicky but I feel like it should do better than this. Does anyone recommend a more premium ammo for accuracy or anything else I might try? I was looking at the nosler custom or black hills possibly. I have not tried a lighter grain bullet yet, that's on the agenda for tomorrow

Thanks for the input. That was another brand I had head about but had never heard of it. As for the bench setup I starter out shooting off a 50 lb bag of grass seed up front and sand bag under the rear. Ended up going and getting a lead sled to rule out any human error and no change.

If there is someone you can trust who's a good shooter have them try out your combinations.

I've had mixed results with the lead sled. It seems there is still some technique involved.

You might go through all the screws to make sure they're tight again. Also check to make sure the basepad is fastened solidly.

Factory loaded ammo now days seems to be hit and miss as far as accuracy is concerned (no pun intended). A friend/coworker of my S-I-L bought an off the shelf Ruger American rifle in 30/06 that I recommended and a couple of boxes of factory loaded ammo. When he shot it at the range with my
S-I-L it wouldn't shoot under 4 1/2-5" at 100 yds. He told Heath that he just wasted his money on that low end rifle, but Heath said that I had a go-to load for the 06 and he would load some up for him. When they shot them it put 3 rounds into just over 1" at 200 yds. Jorge, the gun owner, was ginning till his cheeks hurt. I hear about somebody shooting off the shelf ammo that are total tack drivers but if they are I haven't seen it. It sounds like your rifle is doing the best it can with what it has to work with.

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered a box of the Advanced Ballistics 168 gr as I have seen nothing but great reviews and researched it a lil more. It seems as if their products is one of the best you can buy without coming up of a hand load of your own, which I don't have time to do anymore. Hopefully my rifle likes it

I watched a guy at the range with a Rem. 700 SPS in 270 cal. shoot at 100 yards with 150 gr. Winchester power points and he had about a 5 inch group, I suggested he clean the barrel and try the 130 gr. Federal blue box ammo he bought at Wallyworldmart and dang if his group tighten up to a little over an inch. Point being factory ammo just isn't what it used to be.

Exactly. I actually shot some Barnes Vor-tx 165's that I have for my other .300 the other day and shot a .75 inch group. Only fired 3 shots total. That's good in my book, got the ABM 168's in the mail today but have a 20-30 mph wind so hopefully tomorrow I get to try them

Another thing you could try is putting a little pressure under the fore end of the stock.
I read some reminitons just do't like a free floated barrel.

I had a Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Rem Mag that fired 150 gr factory Remington Core-lock ammunition into 8 inch groups at 100 yards. 175 gr Speer hand loads shot to just over 1/2 inch. Sometimes barrels are finicky and require some different combinations to fine a suitable one.

Good luck

Jerry

morning, try the Black Hills 168gr. work very well in my 300ww.

I use 4831sc. fed. 215 and Winchester brass. some times u have to

work with the barnes. these r very good hunting bullets. I use the

168TTSX and LRX. I shoot anytime with this bullet. expansion is about .750-1.00

inch. THK U lightbulb:)gun)

I would recommend finding some match ammo ,,, but not good for a hunting round. Every name brand MFG puts out a lemon barrel from time to time ! Call rem and see what they will do for you its worth a chance, they may re barrel it for you !

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts