will a weak firing pin spring cause accuracy issues?

vegas steve

i just changed out my spring on my ol trusty 06 and i needed to take 3 tenths out of my elevation dope for my pet load at 515 yrds. could a weak spring really cause that much reduction in speed or point of impact? i figured a primer igniting is a primer igniting.anyone else see a performance gain by changing out their firing pin spring?

There may be some who would find a connection but, IMO Steve, When the primer is ignited it wouldn't make any difference how it was ignited (save for a pierced primer which would allow for some energy to escape to the rear of the fired case). As I see it, it's akin to lighting a match. Regardiess of how you light it, the energy it releases should remain constant.

I wanna believe my groups became more consistent.
The rifle already shot sub groups. But it seemed to shoot very tight groups with less fliers when I changed the spring...
The whole reason for changing it, was because my other rifles had a very loud and definet slam when I pulled the trigger. This old Savage was slow and weak.

I don't know why but I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this and my conclusion is probably stupid. But here it is. Do you suppose that it could have anything to do with your shooting technique. To me for some reason if your firing pin was weak it would make sense that it was a little slow also. So if your follow through on your shot was not exactly the same every time would that minute part of a second change the impact of the bullet. Where as a new firing pin, faster reaction time, less time for change of bullet impact. I know, go back to sleep and keep your stupid ideas to your self.:rolleyes: Have a nice day.

I definetly agree.faster lock time could definetly help cancel out variances in shooting error.the only thing that puzzles me is the fact that my gun seems to shoot flatter than before,indicating an increase in fps.3 tenths elevation reduction at 515 yrds is quite a bit.i will chrono my pet load when i get a chance and post the results

I definetly agree.faster lock time could definetly help cancel out variances in shooting error.the only thing that puzzles me is the fact that my gun seems to shoot flatter than before,indicating an increase in fps.3 tenths elevation reduction at 515 yrds is quite a bit.i will chrono my pet load when i get a chance and post the results

Interested in your results....

Sounds like you did have a flinching problem. Might still have one. The faster ignition of the rifle is now compensating.gun)

I have a pretty good form in my trigger actuation.never flinch.i make every shot a surprise.kinda like back tension releasing in archery.been shooting bench rest and longrange for over 30 yrs.my yrs as a semi pro 3d archer taught me to never punch a trigger,and i apply that to my rifle shooting as well.i personally believe the new spring changed the gun

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.