Cooper Rifles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rolltide, Jan 31, 2006.

1. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member

I would like to get some thoughts on these rifles. I love the look, but rarely see them mentioned. I couldn't find anything when I did a search, so I figured I would ask and see what you guys think about them.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Excellent rifles, I have one in 6.5-284 that shoots very well. Maybe try a search under Phoenix, there is some info here on the Coopers. Supposed to have a new repeating action out real soon. I have shot quite a few Coopers and they were all tack-drivers.

3. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Every one I've ever seen or heard some one talk about shoots very well.

4. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

We just started carrying them at my families shop. Just got in 3 of them, 22-250-220 swift-204ruger

All wood varmint rifles, look damn nice and the test target that comes with them if pretty impressive.

very nice guns

take it easy
    steve

5. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member

That's what I've heard. Unfortunately, none of the shops around carry them so most of my experience with them is internet or a couple of guys I know.

Thanks for the info

6. Russ Vernon

Russ Vernon Member

The Coopers are very nice indeed. I was looking at some at Cliff's Safes in Boise and admiring the single hole targets that come with each gun. Noticing that there was no mention of the distance shot with the rifles I asked Cliff if they were 100 yard groups and he told me that no, they were 50 yard groups. I thought that was perhaps a bit sneaky of Cooper not to mention that on the targets. There are a lot of guns out there that can make one ragged hole 3 shot groups at 50 yards.

7. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

Only the 22 Hornet family of cartridges are shot at 50 yds. All the other centerfire calibers are shot at 100 yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. KurtB

KurtB Well-Known Member

I think all of the Coopers are shot on the same 50 yard indoor range. My 22-250 came with a sligthly out of round test target hole. At 100 yards my 12 year old has shot a .12" group, my best is .17. Those were 3 shot. My 5 shot groups tend to run .3 to .5. My buddy bought a 220 Swift after seeing mine shoot and his is shooting just as good. They are great rifles and if they come out with the repeaters I will be looking for one.

9. daddyer

daddyer Member

I called cooper406-777-0373, and was told ALL the groups are fired at 42yards and calculated to make sure it would equal one half inch groups at 100. The number included is so that you can check the facts for yourself. I read far to many post that are just hear say and wish say. That being said, their ads say one half inch, and that is pretty good groups. I plan on buying one next month myself.

10. daddyer

daddyer Member

The centerfire rifles are shot at 42yards. That is the reason for the tiny groups. The groups are interpreterted to100yrd. to say that they will get one half inch at 100. I called Cooper and this was confirmed. I wish they would put that on each target as well. I do plan on buying one in a couple weeks. The one half inch is good enough for me.

11. parker33

parker33 Active Member

I have a pheonix in 6.5x284 and it shoots very nice. Shot a 5 shot 100 yard group yesterday at .210 and a 5 shot at 600 at 1.65" Three of the 5 were at .685. I am happy with that

12. Lank

Lank Active Member

I have 3 of their rifles and won't own another one and won't recommend them. Two are great and the third has been a nightmare, I have returned it twice now. Cooper insists that it is my reloading that is my trouble. I know better. Two of the Coopers are identical in both model and caliber. One is fine and the other is not shooting identical loads. The bolt has issues aligning upon closure, I was told that "The model 22 has had some trouble" with that. Cooper says I need to address a return/trade with the dealer where purchased.
    Buy something else. I am looking at Gunwerx now.

13. Greg Duerr

Greg Duerr Well-Known Member

I was told that the gourps that come with the Cooper rifles are shot at 40 yards..........................and I have heard that from each of the salesmen at the Scheels store ..................All RImfires will shoot .250 at 50yards and the Centerfire .500 at 100 but its stated that that is with Match Grade Ammo.

14. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I have a Model 52 in 6.5x284. It's as close to a custom as you can get. A couple of weeks ago it put 4 shots into 1.25" at 500 yards. Shoots .2-.3" consistently at a hundred yards. Out of the box trigger breaks at 3.5# but left it alone once I saw how well it shoots. Also, must be one of the few makers that still use slotted bedding screws as opposed to Allen heads.