Hammer failures

Have to agree with shinbone- remember- TEMPORARY wound channels are just that. Unless that temporary channel is through a semi-firm organ that can rupture from the pressure, it won't put them down.

I sure have, 2ea coyotes with the 124HH in 300WSM, 1ea 1500 pound Bull and 2ea hogs with the same rig, Bull and the hogs were identical, pass thru and never took a step ( Shoulders ), the coyotes were a different story

124HH in a 300WSM...what are those things going?!? Mach 4??

First time user for Hammer bullets. Tried a batch thru my Browning A-Bolt 260 Remington. This rifle has a 1 in 10 twist which may explain why I've had trouble shooting respectable groups with 120 or 140 gr bullets of various manufacturer. Tried the 99 grain Hanmer Hunter. My best groups with this bullet is just under 1" at 100 yds.
I was fortunate to take a Texas, 92 pound, live weight, whitetail doe 2 weeks ago. Shot was measured 120 yds by range finder. Doe was broadside to me. One kill is simply that, 1 kill. I have never experienced a more instantaneous kill. Doe was immediately feet up, back in the dirt, 2 kicks and she was dead. Bullet did not exit I'm interested to see if this is a typical reaction. I definitely will try some more.

Douglas, where did the bullet hit the doe?

Side note, sounds like tender vittles:)

124HH in a 300WSM...what are those things going?!? Mach 4??

To add to what Butterbean said, my 300WSM shooting the 124HH pressured out at a little over 3750. There was an obvious accuracy node at 3550, so that is what I hunted with this year. I'll see if there is maybe/hopefully another accuracy node lurking near max velocity over the winter.

Hammer bullets have been out a few years now. I think I started with them in their first year and have not experienced a problem.
But I am curious. Has anyone who actually used Hammer bullets had a failure. By failure I mean a witnessed good hit and lost animal, or a witnessed good hit that required another hit because the first bullet "penciled" through or exploded on the surface and then recovered the animal to verify these results.

Hammer bullets have been out a few years now. I think I started with them in their first year and have not experienced a problem.
But I am curious. Has anyone who actually used Hammer bullets had a failure. By failure I mean a witnessed good hit and lost animal, or a witnessed good hit that required another hit because the first bullet "penciled" through or exploded on the surface and then recovered the animal to verify these results.
Well....From what I have seen it is impossible for bullet failure. That is with a 6.5-06, 30 nos, 300 win mag, and 300 run. And everything I have shot from antelope to a buffalo it has performed awesomely. I won't use anything else.
I've recovered quite a few in the dirt behind our targets and just by looking at them would say minimum 60% retention. These are either 284 or 6.5.
View attachment 223347
they will look like that hitting dirt. I've found the same thing and asked Steve about it. They need hydraulic pressure to expand. I shot a Buffalo at 200 yds and there was a 1" entry hole. It was a frontal so no exit. Didn't realywant to dig through the guts. Shot a bull elk at 600 and you could get teo fingers through the wound channel. Awesome!

"never hitting vitals" There is your answer. Many animals survive muscle damage and leave hunters scratching their heads. More common than most people realize. Having butchered many deer and listened to many stories of many hunts, I feel confident in saying that your dad's buck is lucky that you guys were so tenacious in searching him out and finishing what could have been a painful death by infection.
too far back will also get the same result. I had a buck take a step right when I pulled the trigger one morning at about 500. I knew it was a bad hit when the gun went off. He ran out in a pine cutover. Actually mostly briars with some short pine trees. I just went to camp for a while to let him stiffen up in peace. We went to look for him in the middle afternoon. Easy to find, guts in exit wound snagged on briars and left a trail right to him. Kinda gross. Plenty of blood too. We were pretty surprised when he got up and ran off. He didnt' go far, maybe 100 yds. I snuck up on him and put one in his neck. This after resting for 6 hours with no intestines and very little blood. He also had to have very little blood pressure. Without a hit that disrupts a vital organ or CNS it is amazing what some animals can take.

too far back will also get the same result. I had a buck take a step right when I pulled the trigger one morning at about 500. I knew it was a bad hit when the gun went off. He ran out in a pine cutover. Actually mostly briars with some short pine trees. I just went to camp for a while to let him stiffen up in peace. We went to look for him in the middle afternoon. Easy to find, guts in exit wound snagged on briars and left a trail right to him. Kinda gross. Plenty of blood too. We were pretty surprised when he got up and ran off. He didnt' go far, maybe 100 yds. I snuck up on him and put one in his neck. This after resting for 6 hours with no intestines and very little blood. He also had to have very little blood pressure. Without a hit that disrupts a vital organ or CNS it is amazing what some animals can take.

Yup. I always tried to put it behind the shoulders. But **** it's nice to put it right on the shoulders and watch them drop without so much as a kick.