Expansion failures & Barnes X

I personally have not but there was a topic a couple of weeks ago and some of those guys mentioned they had a long ranges. Check out who is using barnes triple shocks like them? there may be some answers there for you.

There was just a VERY long discussion on X bullets last week. You either love them or hate them. I've never had a failure out to 600 yds, but others have faired differently from their comments. Bullet is supposed to open down to 1,800 fps, so I guess that determines your longest shot distance. Under normal hunting conditions, they do great for me. Check out the prior discussion by searching under "triple shock bullets".

are you sure the bullet failed, or did it not give the performance you wanted? ie what a ballistic tip or similar polymer tipped bullet does. the x bullet and triple shock do not give explosive results. caliber sized hole going in and caliber and half sized hole coming out. I too was initially disappointed with performance untli i hit a wtail @ 275 thru left hind quarter with 300 winnie an bullet penetrated through front shoulder and exited. a ballistic tip will not do this for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've never had an animal stop one. But I have tested 175 barnes-x in 7mm and my 405 grain in .458 shooting into very fine sand embankments.

They peel back just perfectly. Depending on the velocity is how far you can peel them back. I brought the .458 into the forensic crime lab and out 5 examples of 405 grain everyone of them was over 400 grains. So they really hold together. These were shot at over 2400 fps out of a 26 inch barrel 458 Win Mag.

Just an interesting note. According to FBI statisics no crime has ever been committed with a .458 Win Mag. So my bullets are the first examples on record.

I have never seen one fail. I do remember someone on accurate reloading saying that he had experienced many failures so he would drill a bigger hole in the HP portion. That did it for him...no more failures.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.