Hammer “failure” and the importance of shot placement, kind of….! Pics included.

6.5shaggy

My son and I made a late afternoon stroll to see if we could catch a buck running does or at least pop a swine mooching off my wheat. No deer but there was a lonely adolescent boar out rooting around. With the rangefinder and his custom 257 WBY 7.5 twist we made a short walk to gain a little elevation to be able to shoot over some grass between us and the hog. We went prone with good line of sight and the Leica quickly said 349 yards. 0.6 MIL dialed for a 121 Hammer hunter at 3400, I called a right hold for the wind and shouldn't have. A perfect Hammertrail followed the 121 to an impact a bit high on the neck between the shoulder and ear of the 150-170 lb Boar, passed thru and kicked up dirt on the back side. Dropped him, but he staggered back to his feet and stumbled into the earlier mentioned grass. I heard him crash and assumed he was DRT. Well we made it closer and found him just in time to see him wobbling into a creek bottom some 300 yards away. We looked for a few minutes but its hard to track in such a high traffic area and didn't see any blood so we headed back to the truck.
Now maybe the Hammer failed to open fully with no bone impact in the fatty part of the neck. Maybe a Berger would have had massive wounding and killed him. Hard to know anything other than the bullet didn't go where it should have. Which brings me to the next chapter…..
About 20 minutes later we see a boar of equal size, closer. He sees us and calls no joy, he's heading straight away and no sign of stopping. I said 'Let him have it". The 'Oklahoma Head Shot' was the only option but he dropped, squealed, and flopped. It was over in less than 5 seconds. We then walked out the 220 yards to give inspection. I didn't bother opening him up for wound cavity but the 121 entered just below and right of tail head and I don't know where it stopped but it got far enough there was blood coming from his nose and mouth. Probably 18-24 plus inches of hip, guts, liver etc. and obvious instantly DEAD.
There is a lot of discussion and some out right arguing on here about Hammer bullets vs the world. I have just started using them and am impressed thus far for what I use them for. I still use Berger in most my other rifles for their given applications, but for anything under 600 yards with my calibers the Hammer looks to be a very viable option. Shot placement is still key, but this story I thought might give some insight on what Hammers are capable of. It was just coincidence it happened 20 minutes apart.

Attachments

• CDE9E295-97F4-46D4-8600-0AB92A4B09E0.jpeg
    CDE9E295-97F4-46D4-8600-0AB92A4B09E0.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 467
  • 15E8200A-4AA6-4DC7-94C6-9DB491614AC8.jpeg
    15E8200A-4AA6-4DC7-94C6-9DB491614AC8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 459
  • 49A31710-49FF-40A2-BA7A-F9F28D5568DE.jpeg
    49A31710-49FF-40A2-BA7A-F9F28D5568DE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 469
Between the shoulder and the ear isn't ideal for a mono bullet and I would definitely not say that proves a failure whatsoever. They're designed to go in the vitals. If the spine wasn't smashed with the shot placement, the only thing that might have killed it was a violently expanding bullet. So maybe a Berger.

My son and I made a late afternoon stroll to see if we could catch a buck running does or at least pop a swine mooching off my wheat. No deer but there was a lonely adolescent boar out rooting around. With the rangefinder and his custom 257 WBY 7.5 twist we made a short walk to gain a little elevation to be able to shoot over some grass between us and the hog. We went prone with good line of sight and the Leica quickly said 349 yards. 0.6 MIL dialed for a 121 Hammer hunter at 3400, I called a right hold for the wind and shouldn't have. A perfect Hammertrail followed the 121 to an impact a bit high on the neck between the shoulder and ear of the 150-170 lb Boar, passed thru and kicked up dirt on the back side. Dropped him, but he staggered back to his feet and stumbled into the earlier mentioned grass. I heard him crash and assumed he was DRT. Well we made it closer and found him just in time to see him wobbling into a creek bottom some 300 yards away. We looked for a few minutes but its hard to track in such a high traffic area and didn't see any blood so we headed back to the truck.
Now maybe the Hammer failed to open fully with no bone impact in the fatty part of the neck. Maybe a Berger would have had massive wounding and killed him. Hard to know anything other than the bullet didn't go where it should have. Which brings me to the next chapter…..
About 20 minutes later we see a boar of equal size, closer. He sees us and calls no joy, he's heading straight away and no sign of stopping. I said 'Let him have it". The 'Oklahoma Head Shot' was the only option but he dropped, squealed, and flopped. It was over in less than 5 seconds. We then walked out the 220 yards to give inspection. I didn't bother opening him up for wound cavity but the 121 entered just below and right of tail head and I don't know where it stopped but it got far enough there was blood coming from his nose and mouth. Probably 18-24 plus inches of hip, guts, liver etc. and obvious instantly DEAD.
There is a lot of discussion and some out right arguing on here about Hammer bullets vs the world. I have just started using them and am impressed thus far for what I use them for. I still use Berger in most my other rifles for their given applications, but for anything under 600 yards with my calibers the Hammer looks to be a very viable option. Shot placement is still key, but this story I thought might give some insight on what Hammers are capable of. It was just coincidence it happened 20 minutes apart.

Sounds more like a shot placement issue than a bullet failure.

And as you mentioned, maybe a soft cup and core bullet would've ended it right there, due to the more explosive damage.

Any first shot pic? Neck shot is absolute DRT. If it's fatty area behind head above spine it's literally a meat / fat zone.
What I'm finding with Hammer bullets , if you hit any vitals Heart ,Lung , Liver , etc , the animal either drops or makes a death run under a 100 yds . Vitals hit dead animal, minimal meat loss , shoulder shots included.

Maybe my wording left things too open for wide interpretation. The bullet 'failed' to kill the first hog cleanly. Did it fail to function in such soft tissue? Probably not but we'll never know because the animal got up and walked around 500 yards total before he made it into dense cover. No second shot was taken because of safety reasons. It's ABSOLUTELY NOT HAMMER's FAULT I MADE A CRAPPY WIND CALL and didn't put it thru the shoulder. The second hog was also terrible shot placement but the hammer obviously functioned there. Enough so to reach the lungs starting from the wrong end. My point is for folks to choose bullets for reasons that they choose them. This is just two examples of what CAN HAPPEN when things aren't optimal. Manufacturers can control design but they can't control usage.

I had four experiences with hammer bullets this year, 3 on elk and 1 on a mule deer. Although shot placement was marginal on all three elk, the bullet anchored each and a follow up shot from close range finished all three. On two of the elk, I don't believe any of the shots would have anchored them with any other style of bullet. I think one of the petals was responsible for enough trauma to freeze the animal long enough for a finishing shot. The third elk probably would have been immobilized with any king of bullet. The mule deer buck was hit on the point of the near shoulder and surprisingly ran almost 100 yds before dropping in the sagebrush. The shoulder that was struck had a large grapefruit sized entrance hole and two of the petals bounced around the rib cages on both sides of the animal doing extreme damage. In the case of the two elk, I do not believe the main shank anchored the elk, but it was the petals that did their work. Although still a huge fan of Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets, the hammer is gaining my trust, especially the Absolute hammer design. The velocities and accuracy I'm achieving with these bullets is simply outstanding.

Maybe my wording left things too open for wide interpretation. The bullet 'failed' to kill the first hog cleanly. Did it fail to function in such soft tissue? Probably not but we'll never know because the animal got up and walked around 500 yards total before he made it into dense cover. No second shot was taken because of safety reasons. It's ABSOLUTELY NOT HAMMER's FAULT I MADE A CRAPPY WIND CALL and didn't put it thru the shoulder. The second hog was also terrible shot placement but the hammer obviously functioned there. Enough so to reach the lungs starting from the wrong end. My point is for folks to choose bullets for reasons that they choose them. This is just two examples of what CAN HAPPEN when things aren't optimal. Manufacturers can control design but they can't control usage.
Well said.