H777 FFG weight to volume

jebel

Pretty new to muzzleloaders.
I'm trying to set a standard weight-to-volume measure for 100 grains-by-volume of Hodgdon's 777 FFG. I know the mantra that it's named 777 because it's 77.7 grains weight to 100 by volume. Only problem is that my own testing is nowhere near that. I get about 84 grains weight to 100 volume from my measure. If I tap it to let it settle and fill to 100 capacity, I get 86-87 grains weight to 100 volume. What do you folks get/use?

I realize at the end of the day I can set whatever standard I want so long as I work it up safely in my rifle, but I'd like to be in the ballpark of common usage to better interpret what others are saying.

Thanks

Here's something that you can do but note that each different container, especially different lot numbers can be significantly different.

Take your VOLUME measure and set it at 100grs. Pour 10 charges using the volume measure and weigh each one. Then take the average of the 10 weights and use that as your baseline.
Because of the differences in lot numbers and even containers, always when opening a new container use the volume measure for 10 charges and use the average again.
All substitutes are by volume with the only exception from a manufacturer being BH209.

#encore,
The exercise you are describing is what I did. I came up with 84 gr weight (average) for a careful pour and 86-87 gr weight (average) for a compacted pour. After posting my initial message, I went back and measured a set of quick, loose pours trying to simulate what I might do in the field - they were somewhat variable but averaged 80 gr weight.

I posted my question because I was surprised these figures were so high (except perhaps the 80 gr weight) and was wondering if they sounded in line with what others found for H777 FFG.