Volume vs Weight measuring question

My shoulder is Black and Blue today!! All my big center fire rifles have muzzle brakes ... this thing is brutal!! I'm shooting black horn 209 powder with a 300 grain Scorpion PT Gold bullet. I have a Leupold 4.5-14 VX3 I'd love to put on it but in Utah its fixed 1x or iron/peep sights. I'm going to be backpacking in 5-6 miles and hunting above timberline, going to hunt them just like I have in the past with my bow, I can usually get within 150 yards without them spotting me, I have 12 days so if it takes a few days for a good buck to bed in a stalkable spot I have the time to wait, bump a mature muley in the high country you'll probabky never see him again

My shoulder is Black and Blue today!! All my big center fire rifles have muzzle brakes ... this thing is brutal!! I'm shooting black horn 209 powder with a 300 grain Scorpion PT Gold bullet. I have a Leupold 4.5-14 VX3 I'd love to put on it but in Utah its fixed 1x or iron/peep sights. I'm going to be backpacking in 5-6 miles and hunting above timberline, going to hunt them just like I have in the past with my bow, I can usually get within 150 yards without them spotting me, I have 12 days so if it takes a few days for a good buck to bed in a stalkable spot I have the time to wait, bump a mature muley in the high country you'll probabky never see him again

Looking forward to the stories and photos.......

Sounds like a Hunt'in Fool story to me....:) My favorite magazine. Also my favorite hunbting service. We have booked many a hunt through them.

My big guns are braked as well but I don't think a smoke pole kicks all that abruptly (like a centerfire). It's more of a push. I sent at least twenty 290 TMZ's yesterday and no bruises. A bit stiff maybe. But then I'm old anyway.

You want to shoot a killer, try a full choked duck gun sometime. Shooting upwards and not in a parallel line hurts.

Sounds like a Hunt'in Fool story to me....:) My favorite magazine. Also my favorite hunbting service. We have booked many a hunt through them.

My big guns are braked as well but I don't think a smoke pole kicks all that abruptly (like a centerfire). It's more of a push. I sent at least twenty 290 TMZ's yesterday and no bruises. A bit stiff maybe. But then I'm old anyway.

You want to shoot a killer, try a full choked duck gun sometime. Shooting upwards and not in a parallel line hurts.

:) Been there, done that many times. Up until I had all these eye problems, plus retirement and of course older, I shot 4,000 muzzleloader rounds a year and about the same with a shotgun. As far as ducks or geese, I've always given them away and wouldn't hunt them unless I could. Take a duck, mix it in a bucket of mud, cook it, throw out the duck and eat the mud. LOL Never liked duck or goose. I hand load 30-06 and could shoot that thing from morning till night. The muzz with a full charge of 84grs and about a 24 pack is enough :)

I sort of have a duck advantage, one of our group owns his own island in the Maumee River (in Ohio) and it's all about ducks so I get my 'ducks in a row' every fall.

I like smoked duck and roasted duck (it has to be done right) and roasted the last 30 minutes with the lid off with redskins and celery. Not all the time however. Duck has a definite period of when I like it and when I've had enough.

The wood smoked (sort of like smoked fish and I know you are familiar with smoked fish) duck is the breasts only. That used to be our standing joke when going up north across the Mack. Gotta stop and get some smoked fish...Talk about some stinking stuff.

I think some of that fish was smoked on something other than wood..................:D

I shoot my fair share of 3.5" out of my 870 every year from my lay out blind, your right that thing is worse ... I have a smoker and figured out how to make some duck jerky that is actually pretty good.

Being I'm only 25 I figure I might as well hunt as hard as I can while I can, never talked to anyone that said they hunted to hard when they where younger and regretted it, always the other way around!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts