H4831 help?

Just be very careful, have heard of double ignition with 4831 powder resulting in an action blow up. Could have been old poorly stored powder or someone being stupid. One source mentioned the primer pushes the projectile just beyond the throat, then this slow powder ignites.
I have no personal experience with this powder but thought this mishap worth bringing to your attention, be careful.
I have been using IMR 4831 for over forty years and never heard that .When something like this happens its usually human error

I have been using IMR 4831 for over forty years and never heard that .When something like this happens its usually human error
Is double ignition what happens when yiu have too little powder? I don't know that's why I am asking

I've used H4831 for over 45yrs in my .270 Win. I have found it easy to work with. My earlier loads were with leftover Military surplus of my grandfather's and it appeared to be consistent with later lots of production. Several years ago I noticed about a 50-70fps loss in velocity on my chronograph with the same load and same components. I believe production may be under a different manufacturer. Anyone else notice this?

Early Hodgdon 4831 powder got a bad reputation back in the 1950'-60's when it came on the market. Little loading Data, People would try to load light loads in large cases, It would go over pressure and damage some guns. Do Not Load Lighter Than Loads Listed In Reloading Books.
It seem to act like Black Powder if it has an large air pocket it wants to explode instead of burn.
I have burned a lot of H4831 since 1965, At work we used to order it 200 lb. at a time. It had to be shipped rail freight then. H4831 then came in paper 1 lb. bags with a wire like a coffee bag has that folds over. 75 cents a pound and 25 cents freight, Those were the good old days.

I have had good velocity and accuracy success with H4831 in 243 Win. 105 gr. Speer. 264 Win 140 gr. Bullets. 270 Win. 130,140,150, 7mm Rem. Mag. with 175 gr. bullets.

I can not get the velocity out of my 300 WSM 180 gr. Bullets and 338 WM 225 Gr. bullets so my pet loads use IMR 4350.

Early Hodgdon 4831 powder got a bad reputation back in the 1950'-60's when it came on the market. Little loading Data, People would try to load light loads in large cases, It would go over pressure and damage some guns. Do Not Load Lighter Than Loads Listed In Reloading Books.
It seem to act like Black Powder if it has an large air pocket it wants to explode instead of burn.
I have burned a lot of H4831 since 1965, At work we used to order it 200 lb. at a time. It had to be shipped rail freight then. H4831 then came in paper 1 lb. bags with a wire like a coffee bag has that folds over. 75 cents a pound and 25 cents freight, Those were the good old days.

I have had good velocity and accuracy success with H4831 in 243 Win. 105 gr. Speer. 264 Win 140 gr. Bullets. 270 Win. 130,140,150, 7mm Rem. Mag. with 175 gr. bullets.

I can not get the velocity out of my 300 WSM 180 gr. Bullets and 338 WM 225 Gr. bullets so my pet loads use IMR 4350.
75 cents a load😄😄. Wow how things have changed. What do you do for work that requires that much powder? Great info on loads. I was thinking it would be good enough for my 270wsm but not fast enough for my 300wby. Great data!!

I used H4831 when I had a .270 Winchester. Solid performance out of a factory rifle.
Currently using it with 190 SMKs in my .300H&H and with 140 Nosler OTM in my 6.5 Remington magnum. Able to hit a 4 inch square steel at 800 yards.OK

PO Ackley has a chapter in his book about blowing up rifles with people trying to greatly reduce powder charges of slow powders. I have not heard of anyone blowing up a rifle with legitimate published bullet or powder companies data. I've been reloading for over 40 years.

Last edited:
I have had excellent results using H4831 and H4831sc. Very accurate, low ES, good temperature stability. It is very versatile. I have used it in cartridges from 6.5CM to 300WM. Well worth giving it a try in your 270WSM. Work up from a starting load of 59gr for a 140gr bullet.
I agree, I bought a bunch of it because it works in a lot of my rifles. I love it in my creed with 145s and 147s. Very cool running powder.