h4831

The sc version is supposed to be of the same burn rate as the older long kernal powder. BUT the last jug I got of sc was extremely slow burning. (like a good 100-150 fps slower than it should have been). Maybe I just got a slow powder lot. Many manuals say powder rates can be off by 5% and I guess that just puts my jug at the far end of of that perameter. It sure meters nice--it's really hard to load IMR powder after loading Hodgdon and Reloader's short kernals.

Not much of a visible difference between the two.

That is suprising. I have never had H4831SC vary near that much from lot to lot. I would call Hodgdon on it and see what thy say.

I buy all my powder in 5-8 lb containers, reason for this is because I don't think powders are as consistent as the makers would have you think!With large ammounts of powder that is the same you will have a lot of shooting consistency within the batch.I also shoot a lot of military surplus propellant, there are many burn rates to meet many loading requirments at a very inexpensive price!!!My $1.

Good point. What I didn't add is I also buy H4831SC in 8 lb containers for the same reason, but the different lots I have bought thus far (I have bought 1 lb containers on rare occasion) have been very consistant.

I have 2 different lots of H4831 and 2 different lots of H 4831sc from my testing I would have to say that H4831 is slightly slower than the SC version.
B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts