H4831 and h4831sc?

MT257

Other than the one is cut shorter is there any other differences in this powder. If a load was worked up with 4831 is the sc ok to use?

They are the same energy by weight. So there is no difference for loading. The SC is popular because it tends to meter better and pack better in the case. The SC is usually the more desirable of the two.

That's what I thought. I worked a load up with the 4831 cause I label all my powder with the purchase dates and am about to use the last of the 4831 and only have 4831sc left.

MT, just tested the two last month in a load for a friend. He could only find H4831 so I loaned some 4831SC to compare the two. His 25-06 shot both essentially the same. I liked loading the easier metering SC but the other is fine since we only loaded 20 rnds.

Burn rates are the same, but the "sc" version meters much better through powder measures so it tends to be the preferred choice if possible

As I understand it: You can use any H4831 load with H4831sc. There is a possibility of case capacity issues going the other way.

In reality, I have found some differences between SC or SSC and regular. SC and SSC has always tested slower.

As I understand it: You can use any H4831 load with H4831sc. There is a possibility of case capacity issues going the other way.

In reality, I have found some differences between SC or SSC and regular. SC and SSC has always tested slower.

There is no danger going either way, the burn is the same with either powder. I know 'cause I worked for ADI testing military ammo.

Cheers.
gun)

There is no danger going either way, the burn is the same with either powder. I know 'cause I worked for ADI testing military ammo.

Cheers.
gun)
Thank you for that. Yes it has been clear for years that the data is interchangeable. I never said anything about dangers, I said case capacity issues.

PLEASE READ
: What I said was case capacity issues. Nothing was said about danger.

Example:
My load of H4381 SC is 100% case capacity for my 300 WSM with a 208 A-Max. Load is below book max.

That same load by weight of H4381 is 105% case capacity. Book max is a compressed load so there may not be an pressure problem with that. I don't have a "Pressure Trace II" sensor on that rifle.

I'm just a stupid software engineer and it could all be down to different lots of powder. I did make my living for decades being very detail oriented. I could have missed something.

That said, I have found in the real world that there is a difference. Loads don't "work" just substituting SC or SSC for "regular". My SC load works, with "regular" it doesn't. Reverse it for I7828 in a 270 Wby. Regular "works" SSC does not.

Yes, according to the manuals, there is no danger. That is not the issue. The case capacity issue is that groups/accuracy and velocity change, necessitating reworking the load.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.