H4831 vs h4831SC

Run your load up with the specific powder (sc or regular) and lot you are using though. Same burn rate doesn't mean it will behave "exactly" the same. I've seen over 100 fps difference between sc and mil-surp lots of H4831. I gave up on it and went to other powder when the new powder was developing more pressure and was slower than the old stuff. I don't remember if I even tried regular h4831 or not; I'm thinking not.

The SC or SSC designated powders normally allow for higher load density, so you can typically get a bit more powder in a given case when using compressed loads. Use of a drop tube can further increase this advantage.

Yes, you can use the same load data for H4831 vs H4831SC, but the SC version may allow you to get a bit more in situations where you are maxing out case volume with the standard powder before reaching pressure limits.

I have used H4831 and H4831SC in my 260 Rem with no difference. The only thing is the short cut gives you a little more space. Good luck!gun)

Run your load up with the specific powder (sc or regular) and lot you are using though. Same burn rate doesn't mean it will behave "exactly" the same. I've seen over 100 fps difference between sc and mil-surp lots of H4831. I gave up on it and went to other powder when the new powder was developing more pressure and was slower than the old stuff. I don't remember if I even tried regular h4831 or not; I'm thinking not.

The old, mil-surp H4831 is, as best I can tell, IMR 4831, pulled down and sold as H4831 (since Bruce Hodgdon had no rights to use the IMR trademark).

My experience is that the SC and SSC loaded to the same weight as the long cut shows a lowered velocity.

Could be lot to lot variation.
Could be a case volume issue.
Could be both.

IMO
Safe to use long cut charge weights with SC or SSC. Use safe loading techniques.
Caution using SC or SSC developed loads with long cut, back off and work up. Use safe loading techniques.

H4831 vs H4831SC in a 300 WSM
IMR7828 vs IMR7828SSC in Weatherby Magnums

H4831 was around or 20 yrs. or longer before Dupont made IMR 4831. There is no way Bruce Hodgdon pulled down IMR 4831 to make H4831. The burn rate is not any where near the same. IMR is quite a bit faster.

H4831 was around or 20 yrs. or longer before Dupont made IMR 4831. There is no way Bruce Hodgdon pulled down IMR 4831 to make H4831. The burn rate is not any where near the same. IMR is quite a bit faster.
The milsurp 4831 that hodgdon was selling was likely made by imr for the war effort. It wasn't the same powder that they began to market in the early 70's as i4831, but hodgdon also had to find new sourcing for his 4831 in the 70's from Nobel in Scotland. This is one of the biggest reasons reloaders are admonished to use new data only; and to start low every time you get a new lot of powder. You don't really know (unless the company tells you so) that your new lot of powder was even made at the same factory as the powder you bought a few years ago.

H4831 was around or 20 yrs. or longer before Dupont made IMR 4831.

No, H4831 was around 20 years or more before Dupont made IMR 4831 available for sale to the general public. IMR 4831 was developed in the WWII timeframe to fill Oerlikon 20mm AA shells, this is what was pulled down. Of course, sitting around for 20+ years (I know a guy who is still using the H4831 he bought in the 60s), means that burn rates will probably change a smidge, and new manufacture stuff is going to be slightly different too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.