H4831 vs H4831sc accuracy and velocity

blockb

Have a chance to buy H4831 at a good price. I know they say that they are the same other than partical size but would like some real life experience if possible. Thanks

I have substituted H4831SC in loads that i origionally developed with H4831, and have seen no meaningful variations in accuracy, or velocity. Ive only used both powders with 4 loads, 300WM, 22/308, 243 ackley, and 7mm rem mag but thats been my experence. The SC flows better through a measure, dosn't bridge as badly in a drop tube, but other than that, its the same as the old stuff.

I have seen just slight variations in velocities between the two with the SC being faster but it was only 30-40 fps. This may have just been differences in lots. Anyway, the two are close enough to interchange info.

Maybe not with the same level of experience but I'll make it three---use interchangably with no issue.

However, be sure it's Hodgdons not IMR. Hodgdons owns both companies now but H4831 is not IMR4831. The latter is a lot hotter

I would have thought that your 22-308 and 243 would have benefited by using a powder other than H4831? Do you still use it in these shells or have you switched to something with a bit faster burn rate.

I think there is (can be) an advantage to the bulkier H4831 over the SC. Generally speaking, it is preferable to fill the case to the base of the bullet.

In my 6.5x284, a full charge of H4831SC leaves enough room in the case for the powder to move back and forth a bit. If I had known to expect this I would have tried the regular H4831 instead, for improved loading density.

I always trickle up the last few grains when I'm loading so the longer grains wouldn't be a problem.

Just a thought - VH

Still stuffing this powder in both... close your eyes and think 90grJLKs from that 22/308 and 107SMKs in the 243. 90gr JLKs at the speed of fast don't drop very far for a loooong ways out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.