gunsmith for 308 win

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by george, Sep 24, 2004.

1. george

george Well-Known Member

Help, I have a 260 remington that was done by a heavily advertised gunsmith, the action was trued, hart match grade barrel, etc. I am going to have this rifle (remington 700 short action) rebarreled to 308 for informat target work and whitetail deer hunting. What barrel and shith should i contact.Thanks for you reply

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Does it not shoot well now ?
    the 260 is a great long range round probably equal to the 308 if not a little better if you reload. Why the change?

Anyway , The only smiths that I can vouch for by actualy having work done by them is
    Darrel Holland and Kevin Rayhill. Both have do great work for me.
    Now I have seen a few rifle built by barrel makers that shot very well , two were 308's put together by Hart barrels , naturaly wearing a hart barrel and one was by Pac-Nor and it was a 7mmSTW.
    I personaly like Hart barrels , never had any trouble with them and they have all shot great , also gos for Pac-Nor and the Pac-nor tubes ar a bit cheaper.
    The Mike Rock Barrel with its 5R rifling is suposed to be the bets way to go but I don't have any experiance with them YET , but I do have one on the way.
    Chris Mathews who is a board member is also held in very high reguard , especaily in building tactical style rifles.

THeir are a few other smiths on here but I haveen't heard a whole lot about any of them

3. trader388

trader388 Well-Known Member

Talk to Chris Matthews

4. Guest

Guest Guest

You need to contact Chris Matthews..

He built mine and it has the Rock 5R .. awesome is an understatement...

Here is a group shot at 505 yards... proof is in the pudding right!?
    [​IMG]

[ 09-25-2004: Message edited by: Ric Horst ]

5. george

george Well-Known Member

How do I contact Chris Matthews? Thanks for the help.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

George,

imthingtwo@yahoo.com is the best way at the moment...

I will be on a hunt with him the next few days... I'll give him the heads up...