Looking for gunsmith?

Bigeclipse

First question...can you ship a rifle to a gunsmith without going through an FYI? Second question who can recommend a gunsmith who can bed my rifle...it is a savage model 10. It already has pillers from the factory.

84 views and no one...I hope they were not stupid questions. I simply have no gunsmiths near me and would like my rifle bedded. I had heard a rumor that you might be able to send your rifle to a gunsmith not through an FFL just like if you were sending direct back to the factory for a recall.

You can send the rifle to him. When he gets it he has to enter it into his books. When he ships it back he has to send it to ffl.

As far as a smith goes I would check with any that are on the board here. I think you will get a good job from any of them.

Steve

You can send the rifle to him. When he gets it he has to enter it into his books. When he ships it back he has to send it to ffl.

As far as a smith goes I would check with any that are on the board here. I think you will get a good job from any of them.

Steve

How do I know who the gunsmiths are on here?

How do I know who the gunsmiths are on here?

Check out the sponsors section. There will be a list of them. You are probably going to spend more on shipping than the bedding job. I just sent a note to the smith we use to see where he is for schedule.

Steve

What part of New York? If your in the Northeast I might be able to give you a good lead.

What part of New York? If your in the Northeast I might be able to give you a good lead.
I am in the Cambridge area (about 30min east of Saratoga) right near the Vermont border. What part of the North east are you referring to?

If bedding is all you need, do it yourself, It's not that difficult. There are several videos on youtube to watch. Not only will you save yourself some money and the headache and worry of shipping, you'll have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

If you already own the rifle I think you can have it shipped straight to your door. It's the "gunsmith exception." I think the FFL is only for pistols and I'm not sure on that.

I'm in California and I get my rifles shipped to my house from the gunsmith frequently. Gunsmiths both in and out of state. I can't imagine NY is much different.

If you already own the rifle I think you can have it shipped straight to your door. It's the "gunsmith exception." I think the FFL is only for pistols and I'm not sure on that.

I'm in California and I get my rifles shipped to my house from the gunsmith frequently. Gunsmiths both in and out of state. I can't imagine NY is much different.

You may be right. When we got ours they were pretty particular that we needed to log everything in and out and we were under the impression that when we sent them out there needed to be documentation of where it went. Maybe that is enough as long as our log shows where we sent it. Just don't want to do it wrong and have a problem.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.