Gun,scope and Caliber for a newbie?

Recoil, mirage, weather, water, abuse, dirt, cold, heat, the back seat of a truck.........thats why you spend money on a scope. Its one of those things that you won't get till you run into a problem. These guys have done this already, I have done it already.

If you aren't scared of a fixed power scope look at the SWFA SS scope. I have one on a .308 and it'll do anything I need at 880 on paper and anything closer on prairie dogs and coyotes. A fixed 10 power is plenty out to 500 in my opinion. I'm running their 5-20 on my 300WM. Its way better optics than the price would indicate. Also, I've been a long time Remmy fan but recently bought a couple Savages. If you stick with the LR obsession, the savage will be super easy to upgrade, change calibers, and accurize.... To a point. Try an accu-trigger model before you buy anything. If you like it, as a lot of ppl do, it'll save you money from buying an aftermarket trigger.

++1

My friend got a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP in .300 Win Mag package (Savage Arms) last year from Big R for $549. It came with Nikon 3-9x40 BDC Reticle. This should meet your requirement (if felt recoil is not an issue).

Earlier this year, he had a Holland QD muzzle brake installed for $190 and topped it with Konus M30 6.5-25x44 (IIRC, he paid $219 brand new from another friend). The felt recoil on his current set up pushing factory load Barnes 180 grainers is comparable to .243's.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting!

Attachments

• Pete's.jpg
    Pete's.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 16
Another excellent thread on LRH.

Of note, I am considering a slightly used Sendero for just such a project. I think the Remington 700s should be thrown into the mix. They are out there but as mentioned if you need a rifle now, then the Savage family should be given strong consideration.

Of note, I have a friend who has a Stevens in 243 he bought at Dick's and he could not be happier. I have shot it, very nice rifle but of note he restocks all his rifles with wood and he beds them himself.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.