All-around gun/caliber for Texas?

Can you expand on your reasoning behind recommending the M14/M1A?

- light enough to walk with but not so light the recoil is severe.
- easily obtainable ammo.
- a round that is fairly flat shooting for max. shots out to 400 yards.
- a gun that I wont cry over after it gets its first ding.
- a gun that wont rust overnight if I throw it in the back seat or tent after a
hunt

OK, I am going to take a different approach: .25-06. you can get a rem700. stainless/synthetic and have a good smith put a muzzle break on it. get whatever scope you want on it, a bipod if you chose, a little trigger work and you are done.

and walmart sells ammo! cant beat that for easy.

Heya... Of the two choices you've selected, If you are buying factory ammo, I would recommend the .270 for the reason mentioned previously. If on the other hand, your intention is to reload, then I would without question recommend the 30-06 as you have some amazingly high BC bullets available to you from Bergers and Nosler, as well as a vast array of .308 bullets that you can use in your 30-06 that go from light weight rounds, up to the big heavies.

Here's a great article if you plan to reload for the 30-06 which covers accuracy in this platform, barrel & twist recommendations, etc.

The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: Accuracy Secrets of the .30-06 - Part 1

Good luck and straight shooting! gun)------------------------------------------------lightbulb

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I am leaning towards something non-magnum at this point as I have a 300 RUM for long shots at big game. Thinking either .270 or .30-06 at this time.
If you are going the non magnum route look hard at the .260Rem and .284win.

I love the 260rem and have taken deer with it here in Texas well beyond 600yds and coyotes further than that.

I'd pick up a Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby if ammo cost/availability isn't an issue (reloader). I've been itching to add one to my .223 and .30-06 Vanguards. It is the flattest shooting caliber to 400 yards, recoils like a .270, and a great size bullet for whitetail/axis/aoudad and hogs. The only thing in TX that would require more is a Nilgai. A .25-06 would fit the bill as well.

A strong case could also be made for the .270 or .308 as it is enough of a step down from your .300 RUM to justify having for different uses, but is also large enough to serve as a "back up" gun on elk, moose, etc should you decide to travel to hunt them.

.280 AI would be a sweet choice as well on a custom build, there is no easy solution!

May want to have a look at the 6.5mm rouds such as the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 260. I own a 6.5 Creed and i absolutely love it. Would b a perfect round for what you will b doing. Very low recoil, accurate and deadly! Shot a few whitetail with mine and none of them go anywhere. My dad shot a 250 lb buck with his creedmoor at 500 yards which was on the run and it crumpled. If you dont like 6.5s then id suggest a 280 rem. Id definitely chose that over the 270. The 280 is probably one of the most under rated rounds out there. Its a sweetheart of a caliber.

I want to purchase or build a general purpose all-around hunting rifle for under $1k to use for:

- Hunting everything under the Sun in Texas. This means everything from
Whitetail deer to Mule deer to Pronghorns to Hogs to Black Buck to Coyotes to
Alligators.
- I want a gun that is light enough to walk with but not so light the recoil is severe.
- I want a round that has easily obtainable ammo.
- I want a round that is fairly flat shooting for max. shots out to 400 yards.
- I want a gun that I wont cry over after it gets its first ding.
- I want a gun that wont rust overnight if I throw it in the back seat or tent after a
hunt.

I've shot just about every caliber ever made and there are two points here that bear making. First, having more than enough caliber isn't always the best approach. Shooting a 300 win mag will make accuracy more difficult than a caliber that accomplishes your criteria with less than half the felt recoil. A .243 will kill anything you've got in Texas, including the Red Stag and 400 pound boars found on some of the private hunting ranches, but it won't inflict flinching and cussing after the third shot.

The suggestion for the 7mm-08 is extremely sound. This caliber has all the ballistic qualities of the 308, but performs better than the 308 and is cheaper (in my area) to shoot. I do believe "easily obtainable" ammo includes ammo that falls in a reasonable price point, as well as overall availability.

Based on your criteria, a 7mm-08 in a Savage Axis with a $300 Vortex Viper scope will fit the bill perfectly and come in around $800. For a true "truck gun" get said caliber and scope on an H&R Handi Rifle and you've got a gun you won't cry over for about $600.

The felt recoil on a 7mm-08 is comparable to a .243...very very manageable. Which increases your ability to be accurate. A 130 or 140 grain bullet from a 7mm-08 will kill everything up to Wyoming elk! Furthermore, the caliber is deadly accurate and flat shooting out to 500 yards, but will easily reach to 1,000 yards.

That said, I also second the nod for the .270 caliber. Again, a Savage Axis, Howa 1500, or Tikka are excellent choices and can be combined with a Vortex Viper for under $1000, which would include bedding the action and floating the barrel by a good gunsmith (a must for any rifle).

270 ammo is unquestionably available everywhere, is easily hand loaded if you prefer, and has very manageable recoil so accuracy can be improved. In any of the branding I mentioned, you will get a good gun with very reasonable accuracy, light enough to pack all over the place and not feel like you're carrying the kitchen sink, and has very manageable recoil.

ALL the magnum suggestions have high recoil - some to the point of being prohibitive unless bedded in a heavier stock, etc. etc. Even the 30-06, my favorite overall caliber, is more than enough for what you state you want to hunt, will result in a higher recoil than the 7mm-08 or 270, and can be more expensive to shoot in terms of ammo prices.

One final thought. Don't believe that in order for a gun to avoid rusting is MUST have a stainless barrel and synthetic stock - both cost more money and neither is a substitute for good gun care. Simply take reasonable care of your gun and a wood stock with blued barrel and action will last for over a hundred years with no rusting. Wood is easier to bed and float the barreled action in than many synthetics, so for optimal accuracy, consider a good wood (laminate) stock that can be had for ~ $100 from Boyds. Doing so will make you a happy camper/hunter and still keep you under your $1000 budget!

270 win in whatever rifle that fits you best. I prefer the Win M70 all weather but that is just me. They will all work. Plain old 270 win can't be beat when it comes to lower recoil with plenty of power for the animals you mentioned with a huge selection of rifles and ammo. Don't overlook the plain bullets (power point, core-lokt, etc.) that have been engineered specifically for the 270 win since their inception. They work great under 400 yards and sometimes will shoot better than the premium stuff.

Well, a 7mm destroys varmints and gators... So that is out, as well as 30-06, .308, all of the mags and the .30 calibers. .25-06 is pretty close to a compromise. But I feel like a .243 is going to do it all. Without doing too much, that is.

Well, a 7mm destroys varmints and gators... So that is out, as well as 30-06, .308, all of the mags and the .30 calibers. .25-06 is pretty close to a compromise. But I feel like a .243 is going to do it all. Without doing too much, that is.

I think the .243 is a great round, but I think I'd want something bigger in Texas.... As the OP wanted a do-it-all caliber. I personally wouldn't go to my closet an pull out a .243 for Texas elk or big feral hogs. Otherwise... I think a very sound choice!

There's so much wrong with some of the posts in this thread it's hard to know where to start.

Magnum calibers up to the 300wm are not prohibitive due to recoil unless you're a small girl or child.

When my nieces were both under 100lbs they shot my under 8lbs 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm STW which had decent but not great muzzle brakes on them and were equipped with good recoil pads.

Unless someone is particularly recoil shy/sensitive any of the magnums in this class with up to 180 gr bullets are simply not a problem at all.

Hunting in Texas means long shots across big fields in lots of wind on a regular bases along with moving critters picking their way through the brush.

For an ideal all around caliber for all of our game and all of our conditions the 7mm and 30 cal magnums are certainly the ticket which is why they are so popular here in Texas.

I've killed a great many hogs over 300lbs with the .204 Ruger and .220 swift but I'm not about to recommend anything short of the 308 for most people because with lower SD/weight bullets or lower velocities you're going to have a very hard time getting clean kills at 400yds on them as it will take pin point shot placement to get it done.

The .264wm is the smallest I'd recommend in the magnums with the ideal being the 7mm STW, or 300wm with the 7mm Rem right behind them.

In non magnums the .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmore along with the 6.5x284 which gives you slightly more velocity.

Going with the magnums though gives you more energy and flatter trajectory.

I think the .243 is a great round, but I think I'd want something bigger in Texas.... As the OP wanted a do-it-all caliber. I personally wouldn't go to my closet an pull out a .243 for Texas elk or big feral hogs. Otherwise... I think a very sound choice!
Unless you're hunting them on a high fenced game farm the closest you'll get to Elk in Texas are White Tail and Mulies.

It's not the ideal choice for big animals. But like your signature suggests, sometimes having one gun is just crazy!

But for 95% of everything the OP is going to try it is either good or "sufficient" for.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.