All Around 308

alloutsmith3

After help from fellow forum members I have completed modifying my Savage 10FP in 308 Win. to where I want it. Now I'm looking for an all around load for it. Something that may not be the best load for its intended purpose but a load that's really good for all purposes. It needs to be best for hunting and tactical purposes. I would like to be able to hunt all North American big game with it inside its range limitations per animal being hunted. I don't reload yet but have a good friend that can reload for me if it's not a factory load that would fit the bill. All input is appreciated.

After help from fellow forum members I have completed modifying my Savage 10FP in 308 Win. to where I want it. Now I'm looking for an all around load for it. Something that may not be the best load for its intended purpose but a load that's really good for all purposes. It needs to be best for hunting and tactical purposes. I would like to be able to hunt all North American big game with it inside its range limitations per animal being hunted. I don't reload yet but have a good friend that can reload for me if it's not a factory load that would fit the bill. All input is appreciated.
With those constraints I'd look at the hornady superformance with SST or Interbond bullets. I'd suggest starting with the 165's.

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-165-GR-InterBond-Superformance/

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-165-gr-SST-Superformance/
http://www.hornady.com/store/searchammo.php?mode=search&main_cat=249&categoryid

Remington Accutip Ammo has also shot very well for me in my 30's.

AmmoEngine: .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm, .308 Win./7.62x51mm, Find For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals
It's pretty pricey though. For hunting ammunition though I rarely let price dicate because precision and predictable consistent bullet performance trump it in my book.

Remember individual rifles are "very individual" and what works great in one may not work worth a **** in the next.

Having shot a 308 hunting and targets if i was to use only one load for both.
Did some reading on snipershide about shooting a 200gr plus loads in a 308 Win
did some research on the RL-17 powder and started to do some reloading with a speer
180gr spbt Speer claims a 540 B.C. on this bullet. With a couple of boxes of Federal GM
cut flash holes and squared primer pockets loaded them with 210M primers and loaded
3 rounds from start to finish loads.
What I found at 47.5gr was a one hole group in my 308 and my niece's 308. we have killed both deer and elk...
My 308 is a 03A3 action 22" barrel with this load at 2742fps feel safe hunting anything in
North America........Less Alaska bears......

Alloutsmith3

Don't forget to take into consideration the limit of your barrels twist rate. That will effect the bullet weight you can go with.

Alloutsmith3

Don't forget to take into consideration the limit of your barrels twist rate. That will effect the bullet weight you can go with.

My 10FP has a 1:10 twist so it should be able to handle the heavier bullets good from what I've read.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.