Scope and ammo for Long range hunting?Newbie here!

buckand bull

Hello All, I just had a question on scopes. I am new to the long range shooting and am real excited to get into it. I have a 300 win mag model 70 with custom ported barrel and trigger. I was looking into scopes and was thinking about getting the leupoold 4.5 X 14 X 40 vx3 with the cds dial calibrated for my ammo. Is this a good choice for shooting out to say 600 yards? I am looking into shooting 165 grain bullets but wasnt sure what everyone reccomends for manufacturer it will be for big game hunting. Any oppinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Patrick

i have several leup scopes and they work great. i have a couple 300 wm , both are very very accurate as well. the 165 grain bullets should be good out to 600 and more depending on what groups you are getting with them out of your rifle.

Ok great thanks. do you have any preferences on ammunition manufacturers for 165 grain bullets such as hornady, rem, barnes, etc..?

Thanks

If I knew that would help but I purchased the gun last year and there are no markings on the barrel, and it has a muzzle break. The trigger pull has been adjusted. It is a nice gun though and just looking to practice and shoot out to 500 yards with a good scope and ammunition. I hunt mostly Deer, Elk, antelope, bear and hopefully moose and caribou one of these days. Any ideas on scopes and bullet manufacturers would be great.

Thanks

BUCKAND- I Shoot all handloads. all rilfes have their preference . a good barrel helps. i would sho0t a 165 horn or sierra btsp, or a 168 combined tech bullet for cow elk and deer. for bulls i MIGHT change to a 165 ACCUBOND. sorry not sure how that translates to factory ammo. i know others have good results with barnes . they are expensive, and will shoot clear through a bull elk.

Hey thanks guys great info. I havent gotten into reloading yet so I am stuck buying ammo for now. I am thinking about going with the hornady interbonds in 165 grain 3260/3893 (fps/ft lbs) and the leupold 4.5 14x40 cds dial scope. Anyone think that sounds like a good setup for deer,pigs and antelope? I just want to know if I need to that I can shoot accurately out to 600 yards. I know once I get it setup its then practice, practice, practice out at these ranges.
Thanks for all your help guys!!
:)

As an ex-300 WM shooter, I second the Berger 185 VLD. Probably the best shooting projectile in my experience. Berger makes a fine bullet.

That rifle shouldn't have any problem shooting out to 600 yards, even with a mediocre scope, if the shooter is proficient. So, yes, practice is best.

300 mags are better with the heaviest bullets. 165's are great in a 308 but in the 300 win mag the 180-210's are so much better in the wind. The rifle most likely has a 10 twist so you can stabilize the 210 vlds.
The BC of most 165-168 is in the .475 The avg 180 btsp bullet is .507. The Berger 185 is .549. The 190 is .570 and the 210 is .616
Want to use the accubond the the 200 grainer has a bc of .588 vs. thesame .475 of the 165
The A-max208 has a bc of .648 while the 168 has the same .475 and the 178 is .496.
IMHO using the 165-168s in a 300 mag is like filling up an F-1 ferrari at the local Xtra-mart with the cheapest fuel you can find. Will it work yes, will it work to it's potential hardly.
If your loading it down for reduced recoil for a wife or girlfriend use the light bullets but to put the smack down at distance use as big a bullet as it will shoot well.

Ok wow that is very helpful information. I was allways under the assumption that the lighter the bullet the more flatshooting long range capabilities it had. I do get it now though and since I allready have 3 boxes of hornady 180 grain sst superformence from a bear hunt, I guess I will use those. I was getting good groups with them, but I thought I needed to switch up for antelope this year. Thanks for the info guys!!

I have a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm CDS on my Model Seven in 243. I am very pleased with the turrets and overall performance of the scope out to 700 yds (one turn of the turret). I do have some problems with paralax at the higher magnification. The umage is clear at 200 yds., but becomes a litle fuzzy at 600 yds. You can compensate a little by readjusting the eyepiece, but this also messes with your point of impact. Again, I am very pleased with the scope. But if I had to do it all over again, I would go with the non-CDS scope w/side focus and then add a custom dial turret from Leupold or Kenton.

That is good to know, so what is the difference between side focus, or adjustable objective scopes and which is better?

I am lookin at the 4.5 14x50 side focus duplex but am wondering can I get cds dials for drop and wind for this scope as well?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.