All-around gun/caliber for Texas?

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I decided to go with a .308 bolt gun for my all around hunting rifle. It isn't as glamorous as some of the others mentioned but works for me for several reasons.

• It is powerful enough to take most any game I am likely to go after.
  • It can be loaded with 110gr. to 180gr. bullets for varmints to big game.
  • It shoots flat enough for the ranges I am likely to shoot.
  • Ammo is cheap and plentiful.
  • 30 caliber bullets for reloading are cheap plentiful.
  • I shoot and reload 7.62x51 (.308) in several semi-autos so can use that ammo and know how and where it shoots.
  • Recoil is mild
  • My suppressor can be used on it for Legal suppressed hunting in Texas
I bought a Savage Hog Hunter with a 20" threaded barrel. I will put a decent 1-4 or 2-7 scope on it. Replace the stock if necessary. Total cost will be under $1k including the optic. The suppressor is already bought and paid for.

I am already contemplating my next rifle, so am looking hard at the recommendations many of you made. :D Merry Christmas! gun)

Excellent caliber and it should serve you very well! Post a pic of your gun when it arrives. We'd love to see what you want with!

Straight shootin!!

James

Sure will. I got the gun. Now waiting on the Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33 scope and Warne Quick Detach rings to put on it. It is nothing special compared to many of the rifles I see on this site, but if it shoots MOA I will be very happy. I have already loaded up a bunch of Nosler 150/165 Ballistic tips, Hornady 150 SP Interlocks, and Hornady 178 AMAX's to try. Hopefully one of those will shoot well and be my go to round.

Here is the finished product, so to speak. I believe this setup will work very well for all the Texas game I am likely to encounter. I am in the process of working up loads with the 178 AMAX, 150 Ballistic Tip and 150 Interlock. A suppressor I have will also be going on it occasionally.

Stock .308 Savage Hog Hunter
Leupold VX-1 2-7
Warne steel bases and QR rings

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.