gun and scope combo for beginner long range

predator1

hey all new to forum . my cousin and i have got the bug to get into long range shooting. money is a consideration with michigans current economy. our thoughts on a gun scope combo was remington 308 sps varmint 26 inch barrel leupold 6-18 vx2 with target turrets and custon turrets from leupold . plan on shooting 168 berger vlds at bout 2800 depending on the obvious. accuracy and safety of load. plan on trigger job and bedding action. targets out to 800 yards hunting deer and antelope out to 600 yards.how does this setup sound for a starter ? total cost for complete rig just under 1200.00 . scope has 56 minutes of elevation and windage. is this a sound combo ? i really enjoy the site.

Should be good to start out with. You may find that a you get into it more and more that you'll be looking for something with a little more jam.

Don't post here often, but that post sounds like something I should have asked a couple years ago when the bug bit.

The setup that I have been working with for the last couple of years is a Savage 10FP in .308 with a Stockade Woodchuck stock that I finished and bedded topped with a Simmons 44Mag 6.5-20x42 AO mil-dot (wicked-rugged scope for dirt-cheap, but there are sacrifices in the clarity).

Total price tag so far is about $825+/-. Upgrades are always on my mind, but as price is also an issue for myself, I have no practical need for anything more to shoot/hunt out to 800 yards or so.

Though rest assured that someday soon something bigger and better will be in the works, but for getting started I couldn't be happier with the setup I have assembled.

im not new to hunting and shooting . been hunting for 25 years, but am new to long range shooting. practice to 400 yards regular but have never had to stretch a shot more than 325 yards with most 200 and under. i like the idea of long range shooting for the pure fact lots of trigger time and something new to become proficient at.

Like Benny I also went with a used savage 10fp with the choate stock and spent a little more on glass(mark4 4.5-15x50). So far it's been great, the gun is is a tack driver.

I'd also look hard at a savage. You'll get a top notch trigger straight from the factory. If you want to switch caliber later no big deal. Make sure the action (small/large) will handle the round and order a replacement barrel. Change out is easy (10-20min minimal tools), change a bolt head if needed and go shoot. Plan on an aftermarket stock unless you go with one of the law enforcement series rifles like the FP. Also take a look at the Bushnell elite 3200 - 4200 series scopes. Decent glass, repeatable adjustments, tactical turrents if you want, and mil-dot. I'm shooting a similar setup in .223 and have no issue tagging Pdogs at 500yrds. I can dial the bushnell scope all day and come right back to zero. Using a B&C varmint/tactical stock and dead nutz scope mount. Shortly I'll have a 260 rem barrel to swap in to play at longer ranges.

rinodods had some good suggestions with the bushnell elite 3200 and 4200's to look at i have the 3200 10x40 MD and a couple friends ahve the 5-15 MD with turrets also and another friend has the 6-24 MD turrets SF tactical, all of the bushnells i mentioned are great i just started LR shooting this year with the 10x40 and its been totally sweet for the money. and i ahve a savage i think they're great rifles, mine has a wood stock. that said i've shot it off my harris bipod ever since i go this scope and started loading back in june, and no problems since the bbl is free floating. a swivel harris with leg notches and a good rear bag are all you need. look hard at savages, just about all you hear about shoot well from the box, and you can adjust the trigger SO easily, which i think is huge!

It's hard to beat a 308 to learn with, but if you get hooked you may want something with a bit more reach. I went with a Remington Sendero 300WM, I'll never need to waste money on a custom gun to fit the need of this Remington. It is as good as I need it to be with just a trigger adjustment. But with the Nikon Tactical scope it totaled more like $1500.

do you reload? start and and end with a sendero in the caliber of your choice. if you want a 308; look for a 700 vs or vssf used. the 6-24 bushnell is real good for the money.

Predator, The sps may be the way to go, I'll hit one negative then some positives.

Some Rem barrels are turds from the start. non concentric throats, and tooling/drag marks in bore.

On the Plus side if the bore scopes well, you can turn them into a pretty decent rifle. I would buy the rifle from a shop that is owned by a smith with a bore scope that knows what he is looking at. If it has a poor barrel see if the wholesaler will exchange it out with a replacement rifle. You might have to pay return shipping for that, but I scope all factory rifles that come in my shop, and if they are ugly there exchanged.

I did one for a customer in 308sps, B&C medalist stock epoxy bedded with free float, trigger adj., and recrown. Before he picked it up, I shot 3 5 shot groups with my 168smk handload, all 3 went under 5/8" at 100 yards.

Very respectable for a factory tube, and will definatly get yout to 800 yards.

Jim See

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.