Gun Safe in Basement.

I lean with Broz and cowboy on this. I'm just glad I don't live close enough to gohring to get invited over to help get it down to the basement or back up the stairs, if it doesn't work out. I use GoldenRods in my garage safe and have all my reloading setup near it. Still worry about moisture from temperature changes (heater&AC). So far, so good.

I lean with Broz and cowboy on this. I'm just glad I don't live close enough to gohring to get invited over to help get it down to the basement or back up the stairs, if it doesn't work out. I use GoldenRods in my garage safe and have all my reloading setup near it. Still worry about moisture from temperature changes (heater&AC). So far, so good.

Hahaha.... Yea the basement steps will definitely need reinforced....
My back hurts just thinking about it..

I just put a heavy safe into my friends basement. With the correct moving equipment it was no big deal getting it down the stairs. The staircase was 1960 vintage wood but easily handled the weight as the safe went down.

I believe the safe is actually less likely to be subjected to significant heat from fire by being downstairs. Fires burn up, and the hottest areas in a house-fire aren't in the basement. However, if the entire house burned down then I guess the smoldering mess that ends up in the basement could cause a problem. That's a fairly rare scenario with the rapid police & fire response in most suburban areas.

With regard to basement humidity - In my basement I run a dehumidifier 24/7 during the summer. The dehumidifier cycles on & off as needed and discharges the water through a 1/4" hose that can be run out the window or into the slop sink. It's very convenient.

Just another perspective

I believe the safe is actually less likely to be subjected to significant heat from fire by being downstairs. Fires burn up, and the hottest areas in a house-fire aren't in the basement. However, if the entire house burned down then I guess the smoldering mess that ends up in the basement could cause a problem. That's a fairly rare scenario with the rapid police & fire response in most suburban areas.

This is true. I was thinking of worst case scenario. The bed of coals in the basement for a complete loss. Having a wood stove for heat I see a good bed of coals every night all winter. When you live where I do it could be different than city life. Good point.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.