Gun Safe

Thanks for frilling us in, sounds like it worked out in the end for you.

I think the gun storage area is for shotguns or lever guns without scopes. I figure that I need to take their storage estimate and cut it in half.

We just put a safe in my parents place. It was bought from a local safe seller, and he has all the equipment to move it. It was brought to the house on a unmarked trailer that had a hydraulic floor, towed by an unmarked SUV. He has a stair climber, but it wasn't needed. He had slide strips, strips of teflon screwed to pieces of Oak, that had foam rubber on the bottom. It was really easy to slide the safe into position on them, then tip the safe to get them out. It was leveled with regular door shims, so the safe door would stay in whatever position it was in when open. IIRC, 72" H x 42" W x 28" Deep

Best of all, he said that if I'd help with delivery, delivery was free. :D You betcha!!!

I've purchased 3 Cannon safes from Costco. Great price on the safe and all 3 that I have purchased included free shipping right to my front door.

I've had good luck so far with my Cannon safes and I hope I always do because Cannons customer service is pretty **** close to nonexistent. I've found it impossible to get them to answer a call, email and or message.

A guy here was selling a safe cheap. Turns out he had been burglarized. they managed to turn/knock over he safe and cut the bottom out of it as it was much thinner steel. They stole all the fellows long guns but could not get through the next layer and get the hand guns.

Pay attention to the bottoms material and as has been mentioned, take the time to anchor it properly.

Try bolting to the wall and not to the floor. When its bolted to the floor it can be rocked and the bolts pulled out. When its bolted to the wall you can't rock it. Altimatley if someone wants to steal it they will. I just bought a cannon from tractor supply last week and for the money it will do everthing I need it to do EXCEPT hold ALL my long guns.

Have a Liberty safe my self, purchased it in Nj at a gun store with no sales tax as it was considered a safty item was deevered by Manufacturer placed in side and then bolted to floor safe weighted almost 700 lb enpty bolted down ain't nobody going to move it.

I just looked at the literature for the safe that we put in a month or so ago. 1075#. It sure didn't feel that heavy when we moved it - it felt a LOT lighter. The teflon runners sure helped get it in place!

Try bolting to the wall and not to the floor. When its bolted to the floor it can be rocked and the bolts pulled out. When its bolted to the wall you can't rock it. Altimatley if someone wants to steal it they will. I just bought a cannon from tractor supply last week and for the money it will do everthing I need it to do EXCEPT hold ALL my long guns.

I had thought of this befor so when I do get a safe I plan on taking some long hard bolts and some flat bar and bolting it down. This way you would have to pull the floor joist up with the safe .This will only if your foundation is high enough crawl under.

Ps make sure the safe that you get has the 1'' round bars in in the top bottom and across from the hinges the reason for this is so if someone were to grind the hinges off the 3 position 1'' lock bars will still have your safe locked. Some folks don't like safes that have the hinges exsposed but it really don't matter as long as you have one that locks like I've mentioned above.

Bigbuck

They got in the bottom of the safe...did the premise alarm system go off? Just curious how many folks have gun safes but, have no alarm system installed and working on the premises? PS-I don't sell alarm systems...not trying to sell one...Just curious...I mean assuming there were no FDIC would you put your money in a bank that had no alarm system but looked at ya and said but, we got a safe.

Take a 1/4" steel plate the same size as the bottom of your safe or at least wide enough to grap 3 floor joist below and bolt through steel plate with threaded rods (the thicker the better> Now if they try to tip it over then they'll have to snap 3 floor joists which on the vertical isn't easy. I also agree bolting to the wall is a good idea. The key is anything you can do to make it more difficult and slow them down works in your favor.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.