GROUNDHOG MATCH #5 .. 6-04-05

Frank in the Laurel Mts

We've reached the half way point of the 2005 shooting season. Only five more after this one left, you guys had better get a move on, lots keep saying next time and you don't have to many more next times left this season. "YOUR ALL INVITED" as usual..lots of new shooters have been showing up and doing very well the first time..you have a sight-in target at each distance and you are permitted to use a spotting scope and spotter. The next match will be this SATURDAY, JUNE 4th at 9:00 am..the match is held at the Mifflin Co Sportsmens CLub located near LEWISTOWN, PA..almost dead center in the state. http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com rules and regulations can be found on the club's website as well as maps and directions from all over the east..come on guys..long range benchrest at it's finest, you'll see it all here and more..centerfire and rimfire..17's to 50 cals and everything in between...BE FOREWARNED: IT'S HIGHLY "ADDICTIVE"

Yeah..it's the darn adelphia HS...it's too strick...anything you'd like to know-just ask it here. What part of the state are you coming from, shooters are showing up from all over the east and with gas at$2.00 a gallon, lots are sharing the rides, sortta like shooting car pools-also leads to lots of new buddies in your area.. ASK
AWAY ??

Frank

I also see you have a match on the 18th. If so, I'm debaiting which if not both to go too. My oldest son will be here on leave on the 12th and wants to go as well. So the 18th would be perfect.

Questions

Hmmmmmm I sent Jason an email and he set me straight on a few things if I go. I have a sinclair fron rest as well as bags. Would more than likely bring the new 6.5-284. Should I shoot the 142's out of it or go lighter varmint bullet?? My youngest son would get into the rimfire with his little savage 17hmr. He does well with it at 100. I would be driving from Michigan so not sure on how long the drive is 10 hours or so.

I have never shot at anything at those ranges I did a year or so in High power but a different game all together. No spotting scope as of yet so not sure how that would hurt me. I'm sure I could pick up a cheapo or borrow my friends cheapo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, how much ammo does one bring to these things? And..Are there any live varmints I can shoot in PA while there for a long weekend? Seasons ...places etc.

Thanks a million

Joe

First of all this weekend would be a two for one show..our match is on Saturday and the one held on Sunday is at the South Fork Rifle Club, aboout 65 miles apart, I don't think it lines up again the rest of the season however. Your more than welcome to attend either or both..you can also check on the dates for the Williamsport 1000 yard matches, they are also really close by if you want to try that while your here. As far as what to shoot..I would think that the 142's would be fine because lots of guys already are using them here and they seem to do fine with them..you can try different bullets and loads at our match because it has a sight-in target..you can check anything you want in your time allotment, the other match does not have a sight-in target-you would have to know what to do at each distance. The rimfire part of the match goes on at the same time..you could even sit right next to him and help him..the 17hrm shoots at 50-100-150 yards at the same target..very challenging to say the least. I'm not sure about the length of the drive but that sounds about right, lots of motels and hotels in LEWISTOWN, PA..a small city, check hotels.com for a listing..I-80 and State College are not to far away and they have lots of places to stay..also if your coming this weekend to do both shoots, ALTOONA is about 30 miles from either match, right between them, ours is to the east and the other is to the southwest, near Johnstown, PA...all four lanes almost to the door. As far as spotting scopes, there are tons of them at this match and you would not have any problem finding one to use, you may have mine if you'd like-
I rarely use it, our targets have a white background and the other match is black..ours can be seen with a rifle scope most of the time. As far as ammo--15 shots for your score and whatever you'd like to shoot to sight-in or practice with, certainly 40-50 per rifle, per shooter should do fine..groundhog season is in, I'm sure that you could find someone over there that shoots them for real, Boyd or Jason could certainly fix you up in that department...you'd need to check with the PA Game Commission on which license you'd need for that, I think they have a 3-day tourist but I'm not sure about the details of that license. I live about 100 miles due west of the match and about 40 miles north of the other match..we don't have many fields here, mostly woods and not that much groundhog hunting areas..lots over in the center of the state-lots of farm fields. Any other questions feel free to post them here...check out the website http://www.wildcatshooting.com click on competitions and you'll find lots of talk about this match, it's owned by shooters that attend the match all the time, also scroll down and you'll find pictures from last season and also on the posters private picture gallery there are also lots of pictures....

Thanks a ton. I think I'll be there. Sat and Sunday shoot. Woooohooooo I'm pretty sure the wife is fine with it. She would come but has to travel to Toronto...yuk. If I have any other questions..I'll let you know

Thanks again

Joe

I will either come up this Saturday or on the 18th, depending on schedules at home. I think the guns are about as dialed in as they are going to get.

Glad your going to give it a try, you won't be disappointed..but remember I always state "THIS IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE" ...I promise you that when you try it just once--your hooked, might as well join the rest of us !!! It really is alot of fun, grab the ole ladies and shooting buddies and come on up..you'll have a fantastic time and you'll be amazed at the entire event...don't forget to bring your folding chairs to sit around for the big B-S sessions !! See ya SATURDAY !! THe club has lots to eat from breakfast right through lunch and beyond..nothin' better that eggs and bacon and the smell of gun powder in the morning...Frank http://www.wildcatshooting.com http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com

Frank -- Lablover will be our furthest travelling competitor FOR SURE!!!

Seems "Rimfire" should make it as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll be back with the 6.5 this weekend to clean up some ammo i need to shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

see y'all there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

I have a box minus 10 of 95 gr Bergers and a box minus 15 of 105 Amaxs that I will bring up and leave off for anybody that wants them. They might be a little heat singed from some of the words that I used on them but other than that they are in good shape.

Looks like the 18th is gonna be the plan for me...Rimfire as well as far as I know. I'm lookin to make it a long 4 day weekend. Maybe get some real hoggin in as well if I can find someplace.

Look forward to meeting everyone.

Oh yes...It will be a longgggg drive

Joe

Frank -- michigan trumps Mass i believe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Joe -- we should be there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bob -- I am in need of the 95 bergers for some tests /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.