Got a buck this morning.

cdmorten

After checking the weather and my work schedule yesterday, I decided to make a run out to my hunting spot early this morning. I had an elevated spot that has a couple of 300 yard plus fields to scan. After about an hour I turned around to check out the field facing my back and there was a deer out there at about 290 yards. I put the scope on it and could see that it was a decent buck so I decided to take it. I set my scope for 300 yards and watched it. As far as I could tell, it was a 4x4. (It ended up being a 3.4)

It turned the opposite way and started walking but at least it was still broadside. In all the excitement I forgot the old trick about making a grunting noise to stop it. So I touched one off. The buck sprinted for about 20 yards and slowed down and stopped in a small patch of corn. I packed up my stuff and figured I had hit it in the heart/lungs. As I got over to it, it took off running a bit and stopped and layed down. I gave it about 5 minutes thinking it was about dead and when I walked over to it, it took off again and layed down again.

I decided to send another round its way to finish him off and when I shot, nothing happened as I was still set up for 300 yards, not 25. So I sent another round and finished it off. When I got to it I saw that my first shot was about 2 inches behind the lungs.

Being kind of a new hunter, here are some observations that I made that I would change next time.

1. Take the camera because I know you guys hate seeing these posts without photos.
2. Grunt to stop the buck before shooting.
3. Set scope to the right yardage for each shot.
4. Scope out the hunting area and take a weed eater to your spot so you can get prone. Shooting from a fencepost or shooting sticks from 300 yards can be tricky.
5. Barnes TSX 168's are a good whitetail bullet. Neither the 300 yard or 25 yard shot had an exit wound.
6. A kid's plastic sled works pretty well for dragging a deer out by yourself. Plastic slides on grass much better than deer hair.

All in all it was a good day. Oh, yeah, here's a pic of the rifle that took him.

McMillan A5
K&P Barrel
Rem action
Nightforce NXS with NF Alum Rings
Badger Alum bottom metal

Corbett

corb01small.jpg
corb02small.jpg

Congrats on your hunt, glad you got your buck.

Your right, a fence post is a poor substitute for a solid rest. As for the 300 back to 25yd shot, I would wager a cold one that you probably did a little trigger yank on that one. Been there done it, and seen it done several times. With your load and rifle there shouldn't have been much more than an inch or so difference in height for a shot that close. No biggie, just pointing it out. We all have been a little excited after making a good shot on game.

I have used several different rest depending on the area or terrain I am hunting. The one I am finding goes with me more and more is the PoleCat Rapid Pivot Bipod. I have put the adapter, which you can purchase seperately, on a couple of rifles and have found that under most conditions I can shoot either of them as good from bags as I can from the rest.
PoleCat Rapid Pivot Bipods

I took out a 100# boar hog this past Saturday at just over 300yds using this rest and a .270 Win, stoked up with a 130gr SST at just over 3000fps. At that range they don't make up a very big target. I can hold around a 2" groups on a good day and easily 3" out that far under most conditions. For this rifle and der that would be about my limit, however for the hogs I will stretch it out some if conditions are good.

I have been hunting about all my life and your doing great. This isn't by any means pointing out problems just insight. Your learning valuable lessons, and that is what each trip should be about.

One other thing, when you hit a deer and it gets up and runs, don't push it after that. They have an incredable will to go on and can cover literally miles when pushed even a little bit. IF you can see the area good and know they are down, just sit and wait for at least 30 minutes before even heading that way, or even better wait and hour or so. I know it seems like something that is hard to do, but if you ever have had to follow up on one, especially one that isn't leaving a good blood trail, you will definately appreciate the wait over the tracking. Most times even if they aren't dead when you get there, the wait will allow them to relax and let the shock of the shot take effect. THis makes them less likley to jump and run as you approach.

Good luck on your continued success, and get us a pic up when you can.

Very nice rig!

"Roger that" on the weed eater and plastic sled.

My first buck (PA white tail) was hit low and back. Ran 300yds and lay down. I push him another mile missing 10 more shots as he jumped and ran each time I got close. I was 15 @ the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.