New Personal best on deer this morning

James Jones

The rifle season is winding down here and I haven't got much in the freezer so I figured I better quit being picky and start killing. I got into my shoothous at just after 5am and snuggled in for daylight , I'm overlooking a big cut over thats planted on each end , the front plot is 50yds deep and runs 100yds left t right offering shots from 300-350'ish the next lot on the back side is 100yds deep by 300yds long and offers shot from 900-1000yds (in the center) I have seen deer in this plaot several times this year but all does so I passed. At 6:47am I could see deer in the back plot so I setup on the bags and scoped out the situation , three does in the middle of the plot feeding. it looked like they were right in the middle of the plot so I dialed in for 950yds , the Leica LRF1200 said 938 the two times I could hold it on the deer and press the hard button !! I watched the deer for about 5 min looked at the wind appeard to be zero to 5mph, I picked out the bigger of the three which looked a little bit thinner than the other two , she was broad side head down feeding , take two steps feed for 15-20 sec take two steps and feed so I setup on her and started into my shot sequince when she took her two steps I exhale, pause squeeze BANG.... Nothing all three deer looked to the end of the food plot and went back to eating , I checked the wind and the needles in the pines were moving a little bit so I dialed in for 10mph wind , went throught he shot sequince again , she took two steps head down I brought the cross hairs back to the midle of the rib cage and started over, exhale, pause , squeeze , BANG , I was able to spot the hit ,she stepped sideways one step fell over then got up ran about 20yds and feel again obvoiuse that the front shoulder was broke , never got back up the other two deer looked at her like "what are you doing" turned and trotted off. I sat their for around ten min and called paw-in-law to let him know I had one down and relized that their were two deer in the close food plot , both bucks one of which had a main froam 3 on one side and a big defunct cow horn on the other and is significanlt smaller 120'ish pounds, this buck has been seen for 3 years now with the same rack problem. I bolted another round settled the cross hairs on the mutant deers neck and bang , they both looked toward the shoot house put their tails up and loped to the back edge of the food plot? I then relize i was still zeroed for 950yds!! , bring scope back to zero and settle the crossback on his neck squeezed , bang -flop

The doe was hit just behind the front shoulder on the entrance side and the bullet exited though the scapula on the off side , POI was around 6" from POA , wind was a bit more than expected apparently. Butllet performance of the 140gr Berger VLD was great exit wound was about 1.5-2" diameter , both lungs were ruined up front as well as top of the heart , most of the shoulder meat from the on side was salvaged but the off side was pretty much ruined. The buck was hit exactly where the crosshairs were placed exit was abut 4" but the spine was hit , zero usable meat lost and a cull deer was taken from the heard.
Ranged back to the shoot house from where the doe was standing and ranged 944yds three times.

The gun used is a custom built 260 rem , shooting 140gr Bergers out at just over 2850fps , topped off with a 4-16x50 Nikon tactical scope. The guys in my club are totaly convienced that you need at least a 7mm mag to kill these deer at "long range" which for them is 300yds. Even after seeing the damage to these two deer they bashed the capibilities of my "little , oversized varmint rifle" just because it doesen't burn 80grs of powder or shoot cannonball sized bullet at 3500fps.

Ohwell , I diden't get any pics this time as the wife has the camera with here in L.A. , I guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy my own.

Congratulations. Now you will have to get the tractor and pull the house back another 100 yards into the woods to improve your distance.

Its really hard to remember to spin the dial back down after a successful shot isn't it.

Congratulations James.

Good read, felt like I was there with you... especially when you forgot to dial her back to zero. Been there more times that I care to admit.

WTG....had my personal worst today:mad: Two misses b/n 625 and 700. Glad your day went better than mine. BTW my 22x47 should get started tomorrow. Let me know when your headin to Independence.

James Jones,

I know doe pictures and such are boring, but at least you should have posted a picture of the field. Pictures do lighten up the story more than a bit.

Good shooting!

my first rifle was a remy 700 .260, and i wish i would have kept it. killed more than a few mule deer with it. oh, congratulations:D

eddybo , I'll be heading up to Indepedence one day next week , I'm waiting for a few parts to come in before I can have this barrel screwed to the action , and I think that I'm gonna go with the 6mm-6.6x47 for the caliber and if it doesen't workout I can always ream it out to the 243 Ai. I'll definatly give you a call a couple days ahead of time , its my turn to treat for lunch anyway.

As for the pics I'm gonna have to break down and buy my own camera as the wife is getting fussy with me using hers , especialy since I drowned the last one in the Gulf while tuna fishing . I'm just spending all my extra money right now getting a cuple last guns up and running.

Not dialing back down to my zero is a rookie mistake but I know I'm not the only one thats done that , I was just amazed that the two deer come out to the plot or stayed their after the shot , I guess that the brake redirection the noise helps with that. Several of the guys in the club are very courious about this whole long range thing so I suppose that after the season I'll be taking a few of them out to shoot this "little squirrel rifle" out to 1000yds but not before I take some of the loud mouths money in a freindly "match"

I have a model 7 in .260 I use when hunting timber or loaded down with 95vmax's for coyotes and cougars. I have a heavy barreled custom 700 chambered in .260 that is my favorite shooter with match bullets though. After shooting .308's for so long the .260 is just plain fun to shoot when there is any wind. Good job on your hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.