Good 308 WIN ammo in the 155-180gr range

grumpyBD

Hi all, I thought I would pick your collective brains about getting some good factory 308 WIN rounds. I don't handload yet, making factory rounds necessary. The main use will be 600 yd informal club matches. I'd like the ammo to be interchangable for LRH as well. I've read on this site that alot the members prefer "match" type bullets for hunting, which for me simplifies alot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The less tinkering with variables the better. Kinda "a one load kind of guy". Thank you in advance.

I've had great success with Black Hills in both the 168 and 175gr SMK loads , although the federal Gold Medal Match in 168 gr does shoot better in must of my rifles.
Also Hornady makes some pretty good ammo with their A-max bullets and I've had pretty good success with them also.
My personal tactical 308 likes the 175 gr Black Hills best but it also shoot the 175gr bullets better in reloads also.

Its kinda expensive , but I'd buy a box of Federal , one each weight of Black hills and Hornady in both weights and see what your gun likes the best.

Winchester made some Match type ammo for a while and might still , I had an AR-10 that shot it realy will.

If I have to use Factory Ammo it would be the Federal Gold Medal Match in 168 or 175 grain bullet. You can't go wrong.

Thanks guys, I've come to the conclusion that I have to handload. Accuracy of Fed 168 & 175gr ran neck in neck ( 2.1" @ 300 yds.) good but EXPENSIVE. Black Hills 175gr, 2.3" @ 300 yds. All in all the factory stuff produced nice round groups, very consistently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe I'll use that stuff as a backup. Thank you again for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.