REM. 40XB in 300 Win. good or bad

JWS

I am just getting started in longrange shooting. I've been considering the rem. 40xb chambered in 300 win. is this a good choice to start with? Any input would be great!! :rolleyes:

JWS - welcome to the Forum. You've got to the right place to answer questions like this one.

40XB in 300win mag. Do you have much rifle shooting experience? if not, I would not really recommend the magnums to begin with. Better to start with a bit more mild recoil.

40XB any particular reason this model piques your interest? It's a nice rifle, but you can do pretty well with a different model Rem700 that would probably shoot just as well and be less expensive.

Give us some more information and we will be able to help you further...
  • Shooting experience?
  • Intended use for rifle - big game hunting? targets/varmints? tactical? all of these disciplines?
  • At what range do you expect to engage your various 'targets'?
  • Budget?

ALL my mags have muzzle brake. 40 xb -good choice; add a break. there are other good choices. a sendero. a rem 700 with a krieger barrel are good. the 300 wm is the cal the usamu uses for 1000 yard competion.

I started shooting high power competition with a 40 X range master so I am a little biased.

The rifle was/is a 308 and it has served me well for almost 50 years.

It has a history that is unsual and had won many local and state matches.

The rifle never let me down and has more than 23,000 rounds down the tube and will still
shoot 1/2 MOA (with Iron sites).

Remington did it right with this one.

The 300 win mag is a great round for 1,000 yard shooting/competition or hunting and in a 40x
it will be hard to beat for a factory rifle.

It has all good stuff,turned receiver,good barrel(Mine has a Hart from the factory) a very good
fully adjustable trigger(Can be adjusted without removing the stock.) and a good stock for
bedding (If needed).

As I said I'm biased, but IMO you can't go wrong.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you for such a fast replys!
I have hunted with rifles from 243 WIN.to 378 Wthby. mag.
so recoil isn't a big issue. I have four 700 rem. and love them all, so I am leaning toward the 40x in single shot version. Will this stiffin the action and be a benifit out at 1000yds? I have alot of shooting experience, but very little past 500yds. I plan on shooting targets/varmints with this rifle,in your opinion is 300win. a good round for the job? If not what caliber is?
Thanks again :)

Thank you for such a fast replys!
I have hunted with rifles from 243 WIN.to 378 Wthby. mag.
so recoil isn't a big issue. I have four 700 rem. and love them all, so I am leaning toward the 40x in single shot version. Will this stiffin the action and be a benifit out at 1000yds? I have alot of shooting experience, but very little past 500yds. I plan on shooting targets/varmints with this rifle,in your opinion is 300win. a good round for the job? If not what caliber is?
Thanks again :)

For targets and varmints I would say the 300win mag might be a bit of overkill. You might want to consider one of the 6.5mm cartridges. With the 130 and 140grain bullets you get awesome BC and much less recoil than the WinMag. Maybe 260Rem or 6.5x284.

As for your other questions, I'll leave that to Ron and JE Custom as they clearly know the 40XB better than I do.

JWS- what JE said times two. the 40x has the things JE metioned- good trigger , stock , barrel ect. . i happen to like the 300 WM for 600 yards and beyond. i have shot it several times in 1000 yard matches. i use 165-175s at moderate velocity (3000fps) for up to 500 or 600 and i shot the 210 berger at the longer ranges. i see it as more forgiving at the longer ranges than a 308. i have not shot a 308 , i have shot a lot of 30-06. i have two 6.5-284s they do not have breaks and i shoot them more. you do not need a 300 for varmints and targets though. a 6mm br or XC or the 6.5-284 is plenty. my understanding is you have to special order a 40x with a long wait time. you have one spotted on a rack? roninflag

I have not found a 40x. I'm just starting to look at all of my options. Maybe I'll look at a custom rifle and smaller caliber?

Thanks for the input !!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.