7mm Rem vs 300 win mag

tanata

I've been thinking about getting a new gun this year and haven't been able to decide on the caliber.

I do a lot of walking trees and scaring deer up, but also hunt a river valley and you can see deer for miles. I want something that isn't going to be too expensive to shoot, yet can bring them down and is accurate out to 500 yards. Looking at the 7mm and 300 they look pretty close but 7mm seems to be more accurate long range.

The 7mm will shoot flatter, but with a smaller bullet. The 300 will definitely have more drop but will carry quite a bit more energy downrange than the 7mm. As far as accuracy goes, the 7mm doesn't have anything over the 300WM. If you're referring to bullet drop, your scope will compensate for that.

You can't go wrong with either of those calibers. Personally I love my 300WM because the heavier bullets chug through the wind better than the lighter ones. At the range, I find that on my .308 out to about 500 meters I have to hold off for wind conditions quite a bit more than I do with my 300WM. Also you should hear the difference in sound on the gong between those two calibers at 500 meters.

I owe both and at one time each was the "favorite" only to have each replaced by my Sako .30-378 WBY Mag. To talk about power, I have shot 6 of my 9 elk with a 7 mag and roughly 40 deer with it plus countless antelope, too. The 7 mag cause more damage than the .300 on deer and antelope but not elk. I love both but for windy areas, it is definitely the .300 I would get.

I have both and personally would pick the 7mmRM over the 300WM .The 7 will be flatter shooting and have better wind resistance because of higher B.C. bullets available- and at higher velocity than a 300 with a similar B.C. bullet ..assuming you hand load. Something like a 162amax @3100fps(b.c. of.625) would be the cat's meow for deer at long-range. I use 168 berger vlds(b.c..650)@3050 with awesome results on deer.

thank you frank 21-exactly what i would have said-sure 300wm may give a little more energy on target,but energy alone doesnt kill, shot placement does[providing the bullets penetrates the vitals].what is the factor that affects LR shooters most? WIND-and the 7mms just plain "buck" the wind better-especially now that new high quality,high b.c. 7mm bullets are starting to be offered.not to mention in similarly constructed rifles the 7mm will kick less which will also helps place that bullet where it needs to be.ill gladly give some energy away in order to get better dope on the wind, which where i live and can be very difficult to judge.sounds like i like 7's huh?,you bet,but dont get me wrong here there is nothing wrong with the 30 cals.[obviously-lol],i own several and all have their uses,but for the decribed situaton the 7mm is just fine,and can always be loaded for hunting elk. my-2-dave-happy holidays p.s. sorry for the rant just got off the phone with my X-wife who is a real pain in the ***

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.