7mm rem mag VS .308 win

Musket_0

I have the chance to trade my new Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag for a Savage 12fv heavy barrel in .308 win. with accutrigger.
Does this sound like a fair trade? I don't know much about either cal., so thought I might look for some insight from others. Remington has about 40rnds out of it, Savage is new in box. My hunting and shooting will most likely not get past 600 yards unless I move out of North Michigan. Thanks for your time in advance. Jeff

Well... I don't see any reason to trade a Rem in on a Savage.. you can rebuild on the remmy to alot of different options...
as far as perfrmance.. I have never been a 7mm fan but thats not to say I couldn't be...
The delema here isn't 7mm mag. or 308 it is Rem or Saveage...
I personally just wouldn't do it...

How much do you plan on shooting? Do you reload? Are you wanting to hunt or just shoot out to 600? How well do you handle recoil? What variety of Rem 700 (ADL, BDL, CDL, Classic, Stainless, Blued, Matte)?

I'm guessing by your post that you don't reload. That would give the edge to the 308.

Generally it's cheaper to shoot a 308.

The 7 mag has a performance edge that may or may not be an issue to you. Hunting at 600yrds it would be to me. Just shooting paper it wouldn't.

With the heavy barrel 308, the recoil will be light. A similar 7 mag will recoil a touch more. A lighter 7 mag may recoil significantly more. Is this an issue? Only you can say.

Value comparison? I would say your Remington is going to be worth more. Basically consider them both new and compare the prices. The Rem will hold a little better resale but are you buying for resale or to use it?

Me? Well I'd like to have a 308, but I just keep on shooting my old Rem 7 mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do reload, infact just got the dies for the 7 rem mag today in the mail. Already have them for a .308....
The Remington is a BDL. My main sport is Yote and Whitetail hunting and paper hunting(target) for fun with friends.
I have only had the 7 rem mag for a very short time. But with a once broken wrist, the recoil may be an issue.

Of course he would offer to trade. I would only do it it he offered me his rifle and another 700 bucks. Oh and dispose of the Savage for me. The 7 Mag is a tremendously versatile cartridge. Put some 120 V-Maxes in it and go tear up some yotes. It will rule and the recoil will be minimal. On paper the same bullets would be fine. Going long range a good consistant moderate load pushing a 160 grain target type bullet will be nice to shoot too. At least you can look at the Remington without getting sick and it will feed and has a fixable trigger. The Savage........ UGHHH My stomach is turning over. I got to git.

Both rifles can be tuned to shoot out to 600 with ease. Either of the two rounds have plenty of whitetail and coyote power at that distance. It is all a matter of personal preference. I would almost waiger that if neither have had any work done on them, the savage will be the most accurate as is. They usually are, no hype, just my experience with both guns usually show the savage is the better shooter out of the box. Good luck with whatever you choosel

One other thing I forgot to put in my reply, I checked online for Walmart pricing on both guns, the 700 bdl in 7mm is 546.00 and the 12v savage in 308 is 543.00 so the guns are basically the same in pricing. Hope this helps.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course he would offer to trade. I would only do it it he offered me his rifle and another 700 bucks. Oh and dispose of the Savage for me. The 7 Mag is a tremendously versatile cartridge. Put some 120 V-Maxes in it and go tear up some yotes. It will rule and the recoil will be minimal. On paper the same bullets would be fine. Going long range a good consistant moderate load pushing a 160 grain target type bullet will be nice to shoot too. At least you can look at the Remington without getting sick and it will feed and has a fixable trigger. The Savage........ UGHHH My stomach is turning over. I got to git.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you haven't shot many savages. Personaly, if it was me, unless the remington was just a smoker in the accuraccy deparment, I would trade in a heart beat. There are VERY few savages that cant find a load signifagently under one MOA(esp. in 308). The flip side is probably only about 40-50% of remingtons will shoot under an inch. Your milage will very, but if yoy talk to people that own both, you'll see that what I said is true.

That was kind of the point I was trying to make, that the savage rifles are very accurate guns. I have a couple remingtons that are great shooters and I don't have any thing against them in particular, I just think the replies were pointing to the savages as being kinda junky and they will hold their own easily with a stock remmy. I would even go out on a limb and say that the remmies have a hard time keeping up with the savages in accuracy if both guns are out of the box with no work done on either. Take Care all, James

[ QUOTE ]
I would even go out on a limb and say that the remmies have a hard time keeping up with the savages in accuracy if both guns are out of the box with no work done on either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger that. You would be correct.

Thanks for all of .02's, Helps the inner voice. Went ahead and did it tonight. Only catch was that the Savage 12FV turned out to be a 10FP, Still in .308 heavy, but with the tactical stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And now for rings.........Thinking of staying with Burris signiture.

I to would make the trade , you can take the Savage adjust the headspace back a little "generaly 1/4 barrel turn" to tighten up the headspace a little and I would just about be certain that the Savage will shoot groups half the size of the Rem , PLUS you will be able to find great factory match ammo and the beloved Lapua brass is cheap for this case.
And if things don't work out with the 308 its a simple deal to change barrels to say a 260Ai or 6.5-284 and then you would have a rig that would be easier to shoot out to 1000yds. But from my experiance ther heavy barreled 308 Savages have all be sub 3/4" shooter and some in the 1/2" range with good loads they like

One look at your signature tells me you should keep the Remington and buy a Savage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.