Gonna buy a Henry Rifle, need help deciding caliber.

GetReel

So as title states, I'm gonna order a Henry rifle, and leaning towards a Big Boy in Silver or Brass finish. But I can't decide between 357mag, 44mag, 45LC, 45-70Gov't

This not gonna be a high use gun or even a field use gun. I've just always wanted one and decided to get one. I'm not concerned with ammo prices nor will I be reloading for it. I just want the nostalgia of the rifle in a cool caliber to be next to my Winchester 94 30-30 in the gun cabinet.

What are your thoughts on the cool factor for caliber to choose?

My dad got one in 44 mag last year. **** its a nice gun to shoot. I havent shot a lot of lever actions, only a few. But his Henry is smooth. Its so fun to shoot offhand at steel. I almost want to get one in 357 just to have a cheaper way to shoot it often.

I dare say, I almost enjoy his Henry as much as my AR rifles from a pure enjoyment standpoint.

You will love it.

For nostalgia reasons I would say the 45-70. But you may find that you enjoy shooting it enough you might wish you went with the 357 or 44.

you want cool

look up bighorn armory and their model 89 lever in 500 s&w, their ballistics on their 22" barrel version shooting the double tap 400gr wfn rounds has over 4400 ft/lbs of energy.

expensive no doubt, but you can order these in gorgeous woods that would put this thing at home sitting over your fireplace next to your wife's $10,000 vase.

when it's time for business you can stop anything you'll see on this continent and most of the world.

What engineer40 said. Big Boy in 44 is a very sweet rifle. An action like butter, excellent wood to metal fit, very accurate for a pistol caliber, nice trigger, fun to shoot and a beautiful gun. You can get them now in a carbine but I think I favor them in the standard configuration if you don't need to tote it all over creation. 44 is expensive ammo to buy so you'll want to reload even if all you use is a Lee Loader which will pay for itself almost immediately.
Lee Classic Loader 44 Remington Mag

I like the 44 Big Boy but Henry is at the top of their game right now and I doubt you'll be anything but completely satisfied with whatever you get.

Man my vote goes .357. My freind ended up with one after his grandfather died and I have to say I want one bad. It's the only rifle I need to fill my wish list. I barrow it all the time and even upgraded his scope for a nice one for him. Take deer and pigs all the time with it. Very cool guns

...been thinking that a levergun should join the family also.
Thinking .357 because I have a .357 pistol so good match there, but the .44 work work too, then of course I would "need" a .44 "wheel" gun: :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.