Gonna buy a pistol

Which brand of semi-auto .40 S&W

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't get the concealed carry gun idea. If I am going to carry a gun I want everyone to see it. That way they know I have a gun and if I am displaying it then I probably know how to use it. Seems to be a mutual destruction theory thing isn't it?
You carry concealed because if I'm a bad guy and I rob a joint and I see you wearing a gun, guess who the first person I shoot is gonna be....YOU, and then any guy wearing a fanny pack.

I'm another fan of glocks, but right now my favorite is the S&W M&P9. They also make the .40 and .45. For me, I like the point of aim of the 1911's, and the M&P is very much like the 1911 point of aim. They also have the inter-changeable backstraps so you can adjust it to fit you hand. I've had my M&P for about two months now, about 2000 rnds down the tube (including 1300 rnds in a two day class) and no malfunctions.

Here's another vote for the Glock 40. I have been in Law Enforcement for over 23 years and while there are other great pistols out there, the glock has been adopted by more PD's in the U.S. for a reason. It's easy to shoot and no matter how much gunk in falls in, it seems to keep shooting. Also, many do not like the plastic gun, but it's super easy to train cadets with. You can't go wrong with it and the price is not bad if you shop around.

I prefer the Glock. I've been through several classes with my 17 & 19. Thousands of rounds...no jams. I have a Kimber Raptor too. For me it's more of a collection piece. I was at a tac. conf. this year and the shooter before me was carrying a single stack Sig I believe. Anyway we had to shoot a stage at different ranges with a single hand grip(left & right) at the plates. This guy had a heck of a time when he couldn't use both hands and of course he went through a lot of ammo because he couldn't make his hits. I don't even want to know how he did with the live scenarios. My point is that in approx. 50% of assualts you can count on at least one bad guy coming after you. It make sense to have a pistol that can carry more than 8 rounds; an extra mag or two, is a plus too. Get off the idea that showing you have a gun means you know how to use it. Most police officers can't shoot very well. Get some real training once you get a quality gun; I would also add that realistic force on force would be the most beneficial in an assualt. If your using it while pig hunting, I would look at the G20 in 10mm.

Last edited:
Get off the idea that showing you have a gun means you know how to use it. Most police officers can't shoot very well. Get some real training once you get a quality gun; I would also add that realistic force on force would be the most beneficial in an assualt. If your using it while pig hunting, I would look at the G20 in 10mm.

I don't have the funds to buy different guns for different use, thats why I was looking for a pistol that I could use to finish off a wounded animal and also have a home and self defense gun.

Even though I do not have a semi auto, in no should imply that I am not proficient in pistol shooting. I have been shooting revolvers for 35 years.

I believe all the choices that I had in my poll carry more than 8 rounds most are 15+1. Not sure why you would assume that I would not become proficient with a new gun. It would only be a logical conclusion to become familiar with all the handling qualities of a new gun.

You carry concealed because if I'm a bad guy and I rob a joint and I see you wearing a gun, guess who the first person I shoot is gonna be....YOU, and then any guy wearing a fanny pack.

I'm another fan of glocks, but right now my favorite is the S&W M&P9. They also make the .40 and .45. For me, I like the point of aim of the 1911's, and the M&P is very much like the 1911 point of aim. They also have the inter-changeable backstraps so you can adjust it to fit you hand. I've had my M&P for about two months now, about 2000 rnds down the tube (including 1300 rnds in a two day class) and no malfunctions.

I'm not a leo or have any training in that area, but I am a study of human nature. I beleive that a guy that is going to commit murder in a criminal activity is not going to care if I am concealed or not. I think that most criminals are lazy and don't want to work for their money and don't want to deal with an armed population. I could be wrong but I think most criminals would pass on the situation because of the risk and work that they would have to put outto tangle with an obviously armed citizen. Why else do we put bars on windows and alarms on doors. To notify criminals that they are going to have to work to steal your property and just move along. It obviously works most of the time, doesn't it?

I'm not a leo or have any training in that area, but I am a study of human nature. I beleive that a guy that is going to commit murder in a criminal activity is not going to care if I am concealed or not. I think that most criminals are lazy and don't want to work for their money and don't want to deal with an armed population. I could be wrong but I think most criminals would pass on the situation because of the risk and work that they would have to put outto tangle with an obviously armed citizen. Why else do we put bars on windows and alarms on doors. To notify criminals that they are going to have to work to steal your property and just move along. It obviously works most of the time, doesn't it?
Do all the bars and whistles stop all criminals all the time.....no. By showing you have a gun you have lost the element of surprise. OK, so lets say instead of shooting you the bad guy singles you out pre-crime to take as a hostage, hit in the head, tie you up, etc, etc. Or, what if you're standing in a bank and Mr. 1 in 1,000,000, the one guy who is willing to kill somebody, walks in and sees you wearing a gun.......then what. If you are going to carry a gun for personal defense it would behoove you to get some training before carrying. If you are carrying it as a "show of force" of sorts, carry a baseball bat......by carrying openly you have lost many of a the advantages of carrying a gun. Not only is it illegal to openly carry in some states, it WILL draw a lot of attention to you from everybody, and thats not something you need or want in a hostile situation.

Handgun

I have to say that I'm a glock fan as well. I have had one for almost 10years. I do not have any thing bad to say about it. They are very accurate as well. My brother worked for the sherriff department, and they carry Glocks in the 40cal. If you are going to use it for a carry gun Glock is a good choice. Some people lose train of thought when they get into a stressfully place. They forget to take the safe off or pull the hammer back ect. The glock just point and shoot. They are light weight as well. I carry a Glock 17C it works great. When you get closer to buying a gun go handle them. You may pick a gun up and hate the way it feels or the way it rides when you conceal it. If you don't like the way it feels you won't want to carry it.

There is going to be a lot of personal preference involved in picking a handgun. For me I like a pistol where the bore height sits low in the hand. This aids in recoil control. That pretty much rules out Sigs and the Springfield xd.

I shot a s&w m&p9 for a while and really liked they way it felt and shot. The one problem i had with it is I do a lot of dry fire practice. The magazine is metal with a poorly designed sharp front corner at the top of the mg. It tore the heck out of the polymer on my pistol.

I've always shot clocks and have to say it would be my top pick. Gun sits low in the hand. Polymer is durable on it. Magpul mags are dirt cheap and for me are reliable. There are tons of after market parts and options out there for them. The gun itself is super reliable. With big hands, if you decide on a glock, get the gen 4 with the interchangable backstraps. Use the large beavertail strap to avoid glock bite.

I shoot 1911/2011 pistols the most and love the design. As much as I like the design I don't feel they are the best for concealed carry for me, with weight and overall size being the number one complaint.

I don't leave the house without a handgun on my person. If I am on my time it will always be concealed. The element of surprise to me outweighs the very limited advantage of visible open carry.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.