Help buying a rifle ??

redbone

I am trying to buy an rifle over the internet . He has semt pic'sof his rifle . an set the price.. I was going to send the FFl papersToday, But I needed the ser# , an the owner of the rifle will not give me the ser# .
""What should I do ?""

As I understand your question stated, you have not purchased the gun yet or at least sent money?

So not sure what the issue is here and if you have a problem at all.

If you have not bought it, I would not just give out the SN to everyone asking either. Now if it is advertised as a rare gun with rare SN, then most people will give say the first 3-4 #s of the SN to allow you to authenicate the SN and determine yr mftr'd etc.

If you have purchased it, he is required to send it through an FFL dealer who must log the SN in his books before sending to yours. Plus if it is final stages of buy, he should be able to provide the SN to you if he knows you are serious.

BH

BH,
I am a bit lost here, is there a reason for not giving out a firearms serial number in the USA, i cannot see why, is it something to do with the fact that you do not have licencing?

I read many times in G&A magazine of people seeking advice on their guns, only giving out part of the serial number, i have wondered why.
I too would not give out my serial numbers to anyone asking, the first thing i would ask is, how they know i have guns, firearms ownership in the UK is a very private affair.

An enquiry about the serial number from a would-be purchaser of an advertised rifle would be okay, as i can not sell to him if he does not have a licence. The transaction must also take place face to face, i might ask why he would like the serial number, but i cant see a problem.

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

I've bought a few rifles and actions over the last 2 years and here is how I did it. I contacted my FFL that was going to have the rifle shipped to him for me. He sent the necessary paper work, along with his shipping address to the seller. I sent a USPS money order to the seller of the rifle. The rifle was then shipped to the FFL.

I requested the Serial # along with a tracking # when funds were received and the rifle was shipped to the FFL.

I could have also given the FFL the money order made out to the seller to mail along with the necessary paper work. No problems to date! It is also important to actually talk to the party selling you the weapon, sort of an interview to help protect yourself from getting screwed.

I have not dealt with classic or collectable firearms.

Hope this helps,
Frank D

Redbone,

Run like hell. Unless I am dealing with a smith who I know and trust, or a dealer who I know and trust, I will not send money, or buy or trade firearms over the net. I know that a lot of people have had very satisfactory deals on the internet,but these people are very knowledgable about internet or out of state deals. I know 4 people who buy and sell hi-end guns over the internet, and they all say only do business with someone who has references that YOU can check out.

Redbone, I am not trying to sell anything. You say you live on the Ark.-Ok. border. There are several dealers within 200 miles of you who can sell you what you want face to face. I suggest that you find a dealer near you and develope a working relationship with him. In the short run you will end up getting what you actually paid for, and in the long run it will not cost you any more. I have seen used guns listed for sale on the internet that I can buy new in a store not 6 miles from my house for less money.

jm2c joe

Joe Boyd brings up a good point.

Anyone I have dealt with has been a member of boards I frequent for several years and are in good standing. There were no problems in communications and the rifle/action was exactly as described.

I felt confident in dealing with these individuals. Bottom line if you feel uneasy WALK AWAY!

Just a note. Hurrican Katrina has UPS and USPS slowed way down So if you are in the Mississippi Valley you may have some shipping delays.

I see no reason to give a complete SN to someone who has not bought the gun. Why do they need it?

Now if they have bought it, no need not to give the SN to them.

Lot to be said from dealing with reputable guys that are known on several boards and have a reliable reputation.

As someone said you might be dealing with a newbie. Think I would pay with postal money order. Lot easier to get postal inspector involved with fraud than other agencies if you think there is a chance.

BH

I bought my Tikka from an individual via Gunsamerica.com classified ad from an individual in NC (I'm from VA). I asked for as much information he could give me including, his address, phone number and the serial numbers for the Tikka (Tikka had problems with bad steel in the barrels for certain serial numbers--exploding rifles). I wasn't going to send him my $500 without knowing I could locate him and take him to small claims court if he took the money and ran. But in talking to the individual by phone I had all my questions answered and had no lingering feelings this guy wasn't legit. If I had I wouldn't have done the deal. I had him send the the rest of his information to my local shoop (FFL) before I sent him the check and it was a done deal. No problems. Like Mr.Boyd says if it doesn't feel right don't do the deal. There will always be another good deal down the road.

Just my 2Cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts